X

2003 GSX750F Katana Cooling Fan issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 GSX750F Katana Cooling Fan issue

I'm having battery and start issues with this cooling fan running 25-40 min after each start/ride, i've unplugged it once from the side panel and it did not want to start (i'm going to try it again, maybe i had the kill switch on, because another Kat rider said he disabled it by merely unplugging the same wire)

What are the solution's for not having this fan run?

(also, do you kat owners/riders typically always start the bike in prime? and is it necessary? Lately the bike is not wanting to fire up consistently, it does crank however)

i appreciate any input

Originally posted by Chill View Post
    I'm having battery and start issues with this cooling fan running 25-40 min after each start/ride, i've unplugged it once from the side panel and it did not want to start (i'm going to try it again, maybe i had the kill switch on, because another Kat rider said he disabled it by merely unplugging the same wire)

What are the solution's for not having this fan run?

(also, do you kat owners/riders typically always start the bike in prime? and is it necessary? Lately the bike is not wanting to fire up consistently, it does crank however)

i appreciate any input

Unplugging the fan directly should have no effect on the bike. While the fan can drain your power, it really serves no major purpose for the operation of the bike.

On that note... if the fan has "drained" your battery, your probably looking at a battery issue on it's last leg. If the battery is indeed in that condition, it may hold some charge and even have enough to turn the starter, but not enought also put the nessary minimal of 10.5v to the coils. If you go under that on the coils, the bike will either not start, or have a very difficult time doing so.

Leave the fan unplugged unless you need to have it on for the state inspection, and check your battery. Recharge it, and then replace if it won't hold at least a 13.2v charge.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Unplugging the fan directly should have no effect on the bike. While the fan can drain your power, it really serves no major purpose for the operation of the bike.

On that note... if the fan has "drained" your battery, your probably looking at a battery issue on it's last leg. If the battery is indeed in that condition, it may hold some charge and even have enough to turn the starter, but not enought also put the nessary minimal of 10.5v to the coils. If you go under that on the coils, the bike will either not start, or have a very difficult time doing so.

Leave the fan unplugged unless you need to have it on for the state inspection, and check your battery. Recharge it, and then replace if it won't hold at least a 13.2v charge.

Krey
      appreciate your response, i'm trickle charging the battery as we speak, and i'll unplugg the fan and give it a crank. most likely need a new battery.

Comment

No California state inspection...yet.

Regarding the second question, setting the fuel lever to "Prime" bypasses the vacuum function of the petcock as it will feed the carbs by simple gravity, instead of the petcock opening, and thereby fuel flowing, with the vacuum created by a turning (running) engine. But that's usually when work has been done to the carbs as the float bowl will be empty. It's possible but not probable that all the fuel is evaporating from the float bowl to need to switch the petcock to Prime. That kind of environment, I suspect, would have to be severe. That was the reason CARB required a carb (haha, I made a funny) fan to cool the carbs to prevent or minimize fuel evaporation to the atmosphere.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
        X