X

Noob Braking Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Braking Question

I've been riding my Kat for just over a year, and lately I'm finding the back tire has a tendancy to lock up very easily. I have Dunlop 208's on it, I know the rear is about ready to be replaced, but after having a near incident this past Sunday, i've been replaying the events in my head trying to figure out what i did wrong.

The setup:
    Was running some back country FM's and was about to get on the highway. There was a light rain that had just been though, and i know that will make things slick. As i was coming up to my turn i was in a straight, started on the front brake, began down shifting and dragging the rear brake. as i clutched and reved to downshift to second the rear locked up and the bike started trying to go sideways, doubt i was going more than 10-15 mph. I managed to steer into it, keep the rear brake on, and just use the front till the bike stopped. Pulled off the road to get my composure back and start riding again.

This has happened several times on dry pavement, and normally at low speeds in a straight line!. Granted i'm doing this in a Houston summer, but i would think the tires would have plenty of grip in this heat.

Suggestions on what i should change? I'm due for a new tired and just had another 208 put on the front so i was planning on sticking with the dunlops, but if it would help, i'm not opposed to changing rubber.

Thanks
    2001 Katana 600
    1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
    2005 Subaru Impreza STi

AB I would quit using the rear brake. About 95% of the braking is done with the front anyway. Just try laying off the rear brake and see if that makes a difference. I never use my rear brake unless I am at a stop light and I am only using it then to keep my brake light on.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
      AB I would quit using the rear brake. About 95% of the braking is done with the front anyway. Just try laying off the rear brake and see if that makes a difference. I never use my rear brake unless I am at a stop light and I am only using it then to keep my brake light on.
      I've tried doing that, but my stopping distance is so greating increased it's disconcerting. Ofcourse i could always set my expectations for that increase .
      2001 Katana 600
      1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
      2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Comment

Practicing your braking couldn't hurt. I've yet to lock up my rear brakes while on the road. Just go to a parking lot and get up to speed and try an emergency stop like they teach you in the MSF course. Figure out how much pressure you can apply before your brakes lock. In wet conditions, brake earlier and use less pressure.

Comment

Well an MSF instructor will tell you to always use both brakes for two reason. First becuase you get maximum braking power (70% front and 30%) rear. Second if you always use both brakes when you get to a panic situation (ie when your really need max stopping power) you will use both brakes without thinking about it.

If I am reqading your post right you are clutching to shift while the rear brake is being applied. I will guess that is your problem. Without the power of the engine to drive the wheel it takes a lot less brake force to lock the wheel.

Comment

One thing that helped me is lowering the rear brake so during normal riding I never put enough pressure on it to lock it. When I need to get on it, it takes a little more effort than when it's in the stock position. Helps me feather it better.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
              One thing that helped me is lowering the rear brake so during normal riding I never put enough pressure on it to lock it. When I need to get on it, it takes a little more effort than when it's in the stock position. Helps me feather it better.
              agreed i need to do that to mine. I locked mine up twice when i got new boots cause i could not feel the brake like i used to..
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I think the problem is your approach; if you brake before the turn, do your downshifting then, keep a steady throttle through the turn, accelerate out of the turn, then shift back up at the very end you will never need to downshift while in the turn at all.

A lot of things can go wrong while downshifting in a turn, i tend to not do it.

Comment

**posted in the wrong thread** I'm a retard

Comment

Have you checked your rear brake and caliper? My brother has an '04 750 - one of the caliper pins stuck on his, which caused it to lock up. Just a thought ...
                    ~ Lisa
                    2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
                    2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Blonde
                      Have you checked your rear brake and caliper? My brother has an '04 750 - one of the caliper pins stuck on his, which caused it to lock up. Just a thought ...
                      I've check the caliper, and replaced the pads aswell, as far as i can tell it's mechanically fine. Appears to be rider error
                      2001 Katana 600
                      1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
                      2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Comment

I was just talking to charliemav last night,and she was telling me about how she does to a parking lot and practices her braking, using both brakes all the time. It's a good habit to get into and the more you practice it, the more it will be second nature when you need to stop in a heartbeat.

Comment

Just curious -- ablank -- has this issue gotten any better? Still having issues with the rear brakes?

One question did come to mind: when you had the rear pads replaced, what pads were they replaced with? Standard pad compound is GG (45 to 55% friction rate); HH pads can be anything above 55% and vary by manufacturer. Thus a set of HH rear pads may make you very prone to locking up the rear easily.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Unfortunately I have been neglecting the Kat abit lately in favor of my new STi. I did replace the pads wth HH, but it did that with the stock pads before I replaced them. I've just been working on fine tuning my rear brake control and primarily using the front. Now I just need to convince my GF not to park behind the Kat so I can get it out of the garage and put some miles on it
                            2001 Katana 600
                            1998 Jeep TJ 4.0
                            2005 Subaru Impreza STi

Comment

i use my back brake alot(cruiser days showin through). but you just need practice with it to not lock up alot. youll notice alot of difference in stopping too using both.

listen to the tires they will talk to you literally ;p. i hear the tire 'howel' when its close to locking up. if it locks up you can always quickly get off the brake and be ok, or leave it locked its no big deal to ride out a rear lock up.
                              03 katanika

Comment

Working...
                              X