X

oil change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change

ummm sounds really dumb but i dunno how to do any of this. but can anyone tell me what i need to do to change the oil on my 04 kat. thanks

do a search. there's TONNES of posts about this topic, including a step by step manual with pictures. not much to it....
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

4.5 quarts of JASO-MA rated oil
      1 oil filter & oil filter cap (I sell these)
      standard socket wrench
      17, 19 & 21mm sockets (depends on which drain plug you have)
      torque wrench (retorque to 16.5 lb-ft: go too high and you'll strip the pan; too low and the bolt will vibrate out while riding and dump hot oil in front of your rear tire).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just did mine tonight as a matter of fact. Oh and do yourself a big favor and get a K&N oil filter. Alittle more expensive than the stock suzuki oil filters, Best quality filter you can get, and a helluva lot easier to take off when its time to change it again

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
          Just did mine tonight as a matter of fact. Oh and do yourself a big favor and get a K&N oil filter. Alittle more expensive than the stock suzuki oil filters, Best quality filter you can get, and a helluva lot easier to take off when its time to change it again
          I'm of the opinion that the Toyo Roki that Suzuki uses as OEM is the best quality filter on the market... but I'll agree that a lot of people find the square head on the K&N easier to take off, unless you are using the OEM filter wrench (which makes it identically painless as well).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just a quick chime in here. How tight is the filter cap supposed to be? I tried to use mine the other day and could not get it over the filter. I tried the filter on the bike and the new filter. Also, the cap I has says "Made in the USA". Is this even the right cap?
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

I found this link to be very informative on my first oil change.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                Just a quick chime in here. How tight is the filter cap supposed to be? I tried to use mine the other day and could not get it over the filter. I tried the filter on the bike and the new filter. Also, the cap I has says "Made in the USA". Is this even the right cap?
                Was it the right cap & right filter?
                The ones I sell are Suzuki OEM, matched and fit with less than 1mm to spare. And no where on them do they say "Made in the USA". The latest revision of the Suzuki filter wrench even has a combo fitting on the front -- it'll take a 3/8" square drive ratchet in the center, or a hex socket or wrench across the outside.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I got the filter from you. The cap has the 3/8" socket driver, but nothing else. And it's so tight, I can't get it on at all. I'll post up a pic when I get home.
                  -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                    I got the filter from you. The cap has the 3/8" socket driver, but nothing else. And it's so tight, I can't get it on at all. I'll post up a pic when I get home.
                    Please do... I'll get it swapped out if there's an issue.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I didn't get the folter cap from you, CP. It came with my bike. Anyway, here are some pics:

-Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Hmm...thought I sized them smaller than that...
                        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I was going to say that isn't the filter cap wrench that I sell -- which are all metal and look like this (filter next to it for comparison):

Yours obviously isn't for use with the OEM filters... Looks like the type designed to fit some aftermarket oil filter that the previous owner used regularly perhaps

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

whats the purpose of the filter cap you sell CP, how much do you sell them for?
                            Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Originally posted by Tito750
                              whats the purpose of the filter cap you sell CP, how much do you sell them for?
                              The filter cap is used to remove and install the OEM Suzuki oil filters. I get $4.25 + S&H for them. Because of the weight, it makes sense to order them in conjunction with other service needs (oil filters, spark plugs) which I also offer. See this thread for more details:
                              CyberPoet's KR Special Offers
                              Note that the posting with the offers changes content as things are added, go out of stock -- but you will not receive an update via an email when it does, because the thread in general doesn't allow me to add subsequent posts & the system doesn't notify via email when an existing thread changes.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X