X

Carb air/fuel mix screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
    Or if you want to do it a little cheaper you can get a 1/4 inch socket & a correct size flat blade screw driver bit from Lowes or Home Depot to put in the socket & use it to reach under the carbs. The engine will be warm so I suggest Mechanix Wear gloves or something of the sort. Ray.
    Have you tried that? I have tried custom made screwdrivers and have failed.
    The tool Chris posted (I got mine for $16 at the local MC shop) works really well. Not perfect, but really well. It also has a incremented dial on the handle that you can adjust. So you can accurately make 1/8 (is that right Chris?) turn adjustments.

I cut off the little tang on the tip. It is meant to lock onto the half circle on the carb. But on the Kat the angle is wrong. I also drilled a hole in the tip and locked the tip in position. It tended to retract (like a turtle head) into the handle.

Normally I am against really specialized tools. I most cases I make them myself. But this tool is a gem.

Comment

I do them both ways Peter. I have just about every hand tool known to man & almost every Suzuki tool made also but was just trying to give the guy another choice to use if he didn't have access to the specialized tool right away. I definitely like the Motion Pro tool too though! Ray.
      Last edited by suzukiray; 04-22-2009, 06:46 PM.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I was toying with what I dubbed and "idle chop" (similar to "plug chop") a while back . Seemed to be getting me in the right direction at the time . Basically , once I got home ,I'd let the bike idle a minute or so , then cut it . Checked all the plugs later , and the darker ones I'd turn the pilots in a tad , and vice versa . Seemed to run a little better over time . I had no luck with the Motion pro tool , so an idle drop didn't seem like it was gonna be likely .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

... just dragging up this old thread.
          My stock 05 Kat runs noticeably better with the choke on a tiny bit. Is this because of the lean air/fuel stock setting?
          If I was to set the A/F to 2.5 with the stock motor will the motor be more responsive?
          Last edited by BareKat; 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM.
          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

You are likely running lean , yeah . And it COULD be from dirty carbs as well . 2.5 SHOULD do you better . Most seem ok with 2-2.5 . But if it runs better with choke on , I'm thinking it could be more than just lean settings ....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

K, thanks.

I'm now thinking if I'm pulling everything apart I may as well install a Factor Pro Jet kit...
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                My stock 05 Kat runs noticeably better with the choke on a tiny bit.
                At what point in the throttle?

Idle, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc?
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

It seams with the choke on a bit the motor is more responsive across the whole rev range with the exception of right at redline were the power trails off a bit.

I have a 5 degree advancer installed and the power seams to trail off regardless of the choke setting.
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I'd start by cleaning the pilot jets. Mine was the same way.. and 1.5 hours pulling the bowls, and cleaning the pilot jets out helped tremendously! Then set your mixture screws and give it a go....

Comment

Hello fellas! I just developed an issue,but I think I may already know the answer but would appreciate some input.

Mine is an 01 750 Kat,my 2nd one and I LOVE it. Bought it about 4 months ago for 1600. Bike ran great but I suspected it hadnt been maintained properly. Friend of mine has been working on bikes for years and works now at a cycle dealership. So,I got him to adjust the valves and sync the carbs - not that the bike NEEDED these services,but I felt better knowing they were going to get done. Got the bike back and found a few issues that werent there before he did the work. Biggest issue was a distinct stumble/miss right off idle that has progressively gotten worse. I thought maybe he didnt do the valve adjustment or carb sync properly so I dove into it and found 6 valves were too tight. Readjusted valves and thought all was well...not so. Stumble continued to get worse to the point of an irratic,bumpy idle and stumble off idle. Today I was working on it and intended to adjust the mixture screws,suspecting that maybe it was too lean. Popped the plugs and started to first turn them in and was going to count out 2.5 turns but I found that cyls 1,2,and 3 had the screws seated compleatly,and 34 was out about 1.5. So my question is,does it make sense that the mixture screws need to be adjusted now that the valves are properly adjusted? I havent confirmed carb sync,dont have the guages. Everything was fine till the work was done....the idle wasnt silky smooth,but it was good. And throtle response wasnt lightning quick,but it was good. Right now,my blood is approaching boiling ....

On an unrelated issue - how in dee hell do I start a post/thread? Perhaps Im so frustrated I cant see straight...Help guys!!

Ed

Comment

Mixture screws should be around 2.5 turns out....all of them. If you adjusted your valves, you will need to resync your carbs because of that, not the mixture screws.

FOr a new thread, upper left corner. Button titled New Thread in the Mechanics section.

Comment

I wonder if the 'mechanic' reinstalled the caps back on the ports used to sync the carbs. It sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Anyone else notice most "dealership mechanics" are worse than most people here? Giving me a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              Anyone else notice most "dealership mechanics" are worse than most people here? Giving me a bad name.
                              Why do you think I canceled the warranty on my new Fizzer? I don't want anyone touching it but me.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                                It's amazing how bad dealership mechanics can be sometimes. Remember, "professional" just means they get paid to do it.
                                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                                X