Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Quest For The Perfect Bike...Have I Found It???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest For The Perfect Bike...Have I Found It???

Hi guys, hope you assure me...

What I'm Looking For...

1) Has to be simple to maintain/repair at home
    2) Smooth & Comfortable riding between 60 - 75mph
    3) Relatively good wind protection on the highway
    4) Reliable & Long lasting

I've looked at so many of the new bikes, and they all fail in some department. Then I discoverd a 2005 blue Kat 750. Ohhh! I like it.
    Then I discovered that the Kat's valves are the old screw and lock type, no shims for me. No fuel injection either ( this is a + for me...carbs can be a pain, FI is so nice, until it craps out. Then you're screwed. Carbs I can understand and fix)

Some have complained about a vibration on the Kat. Is it a vibration, or just a high frequency buzz? How bad could it be...so many of you seem to love the Kat?

Then I discovered this forum. Bonus! Then I read that the Kat is to be discontinued...ouch. Think I shoud buy one now. Am I wrong about this bike??? All opinions are welcome & Thanks.

BlueKat750

Vibrations ??? What vibrations .. I have an 05 750 and no vibrations at all .... very smooth ride yet you have more then enough power if you feel like well like going fast

The only thing I didn't like on mine was the high handles but I fix it with clip ons but I am more into sports bike then touring but putting as a$$ on an itsy bitsy piece of seat didn't appeal to me.

In my opinion the Kat is the best compromise between a sports bike and a touring.

And as you said .... it's regular mecanics so cheaper to repair and maintained.
    Guylaine
    Try and keep up now

Comment

From what you want the Kat will be a good fit for you. Maint very easy. Motor is bulletproof. It's been around for 20 plus years so that should tell you its reliable. Vib isn't bad.Now if you want to impress local squids and show off stunting this is not the bike for that.

Comment

1. you sound competent if you're talking about valve types. no problem
        2. I'm 17 and I get sore after about half an hour, but after standing up or something I'm fine for another 30-45 minutes, all day rides aren't a big deal
        3. my kat is cut up and older than your perspective bike, but it's ok to me
        4. mine's been a bugger but it sat in a field for 5 years and is 17 years old, not a fiar comparison, mostly good
        Live and Lean.
        When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
        "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
        Romans 3:23

Comment

I love mine and others can have their preferences.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Re: Quest For The Perfect Bike...Have I Found It???

Originally posted by BlueKat750
            1) Has to be simple to maintain/repair at home
            Nothing complicated here. As far as simple goes, it's among the simplest on the planet that was still in recent production. There are simpler bikes, such as the old BMW R60, but they stopped building them a long time ago. There are also bikes that have no valve adjustments at all (hydraulic tappets), but you better like the cruiser look/feel if you want to go that route.

The only common failure that's not easy/cheap to fix is 2nd gear engagement failures, and they only normally happen if 2nd gets abused (which it doesn't sound like you'd be the type to do). A quick search of KR will net you more info on the causes and repair costs. Make sure if you are buying used, you look for symptoms of a potential 2nd gear failure -- any failure to engage 2nd gear on the first try or to pop out of 2nd after engaging is a typical early warning sign.

2) Smooth & Comfortable riding between 60 - 75mph
            Smooth, yes. Some users complain of vibes around 5300 RPM, but usually that can be traced to a secondary maintenance issue, such as failing to sync the carbs as needed, or the addition of an aftermarket intake/exhaust/bar-ends, or bent handlebar tubes (if the tubes have even the slightest bend, replace). Changing gears so you're not at that particular RPM will elimate the issue too... 6k = 78 - 80 mph.

Comfortable. Ergonomically, very. Seat is the weak-point if you're heavier or broad-hipped, and an aftermarket corbin saddle will make the bike all-day comfy for about $220 - $280 (I've done many 600 - 1k mile days on mine).

3) Relatively good wind protection on the highway
            Better weather protection than anything shy of a full-dress tourer (aka GoldWing) or a few other behemouths at twice-the-price (ST1300, FJR).

Riders (esp. lighter-weight ones) who tend to get easily disconcerted by side-winds won't like the bike at lower speeds because it does have a lot of side-area to catch winds -- secret is to relax and be zen about it, and understand that a little lateral motion from wind isn't the end of the world because the gyroscopic stability of the wheels will correct for it. Not any worse than anything else with the same general height/length out there.

4) Reliable & Long lasting
            We have had several of our members who have exceeded 100k miles (or the metric equivilent). Good quality MC oil, preventative maint as needed, and don't abuse it and there's no reason it shouldn't last just as long for you.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. Thinks I'll have to round up some $ and get her. CyberPoet, funny you should compare the mechanics of the Kat with the R60, I'm currently riding an R65LS. Now you know where I'm coming from, and why the Kat seems to be a natural progression for me.
              Will keep you all updated.

BlueKat750

p.s. Anyone from NY?

Comment

I am from Long Island N.Y. I love my 2000 Kat 750. This bike does everything I need a bike to do. I recently did a Sport-touring weekend up to my Brothers place in Vermont and racked up three back to back 250 mile days. I felt great afterwards and the Kat handled everything from 90 minute Interstate runs to hours of mountain twisties to 2 hours of solid rain without a hiccup. As Cyber said, fresh oil, proper maintenance, and no abuse. It sounds like a great choice for you.

Comment

Hope you do go and buy her.........post some pics of her too when she's yours........

Comment

The Kat is a great bike. I have a 06 750 and I love it. This is my first bike and I have no complaints. It has been easy to maintain. I just took it in for its first service a couple of weeks ago. I have around 1100 miles right now and I can't wait to get more.

Comment

Re: Quest For The Perfect Bike...Have I Found It???

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      There are also bikes that have no valve adjustments at all (hydraulic tappets), but you better like the cruiser look/feel if you want to go that route.
                      I believe Moto Guzzi's are in that category of hydraulic lifters, and shaft to boot.

Once I installed Ivan's jet kit, the annoying vibes at freeway speeds were gone.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I think Cyber pretty much covered all the bases, or all the important ones (as usual, hehe).

I have only had my Kat ('06 600) for 2100 miles, but I personally think it may be the perfect bike for "real world" sport riding. Here's what I mean.

As far as maintenance goes, as several other said I don't think you'll have any problem. The only "special" tool I've needed was a valve wrench from Suzuki, although there are several other places to get one. Other than that, a good basic metric tool kit, a *bit* of mechanical inclination and a manual and you're good to go.

As far as comfort, again I have zero complaints. It took me a little while to find my "zone" for riding, or the correct riding position for me, but once I figured it out, it is a perfectly comfortable ride. That's not to say that it was torture before I found the correct riding position. I bought mine at a place that was 195 miles from my home. Signed the paperwork and rode her home, no worries at all. Around the last part of the trip my seat got a bit uncomfortable, but I chalk that up more to being off a bike for fifteen years than to any comfort issues with the seat. I now normally do short day cruises, 75-150 miles. If I'm on good roads, there are no comfort issues whatsoever. However, being in northwest Louisiana, good roads are the exception rather than the norm. So, after say 45-60 miles on these roads, sometimes I have to give my rear a small break. All it really takes is a little lift out of the saddle and I'm good to go again. Long story short, VERY comfortable bike.

Now, when the mood strikes to hit the twisties, I'm STILL happy. Don't expect a Gixxer or the like, and you won't be disappointed. But for a bike this heavy (read: stable) with this long wheelbase (read: comfortable) this is a very capable bike when the road turns. Like I said, it doesn't go around curves with the alacrity that my old gixxer did, but when the road straigtens back out, it doesn't make my kidneys ache like the old gixxer did either. It is a very capable bike for any real world riding.

I guess I could go on and on, but I'll spare everyone (as much as I can at this point, hehe). All in all, this is a very, very good motorcycle. Rides good, handles good, straight line performance is crisp, if not overwhelming. This is a very good machine also, easy maintenance and basically trouble free.

Yep, it just might be the perfect bike, for those of us who for whatever reasons don't have a stable full of specialty bikes like GSXR's or Goldwings, or Boulevards, this may absolutely be the perfect all around bike. Comfortable, capable, reliable and quick.

Now go get that Kat and let us see the pics!

May she bring you many happy miles.
                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

CyberPoet, funny you should compare the mechanics of the Kat with the R60, I'm currently riding an R65LS. Now you know where I'm coming from, and why the Kat seems to be a natural progression for me.
                          If you're a R65 rider, here's what you need to know:
                          (A) The bike's torque curve is nothing like your current bike's. The R60 series builds a ton of torque very early and the torque curve is almost linear-flat all the way across the RPM range (from 30 to 37 lb-ft in the entire range). The Kat's torque starts much lower and builds with the RPM, jumping really heavily starting around 7300 RPM and dropping back off around 9800 RPM. This means that gear choices are more rewarded than the R65.
                          (B) The riding position is more forward and aggressive, but not sport-bike aggressive. The R65 is comfy at 30 mph all day if you like to putter; the Kat rewards a more forward-angled posture and speeds over 45, where the wind spilling over the windshield induces a blast on the chest which lifts the weight off the wrists. This is not the same kind of straight upright position as on the R65.
                          (C) The kat will do speeds much easier. While an R65 won't consider the far side of 110 mph normally (and that's strained at best), the Kat will eat 125 easily and then some...
                          (D) The fairing protection will be much better than that semi-fairing on the LS. At highway speeds, rain isn't a big deal -- you tend to get soaked only when you have to slow way down or stop and the fairings can't protect you (from rain from above).
                          (E) You've probably been spoiled by having a shaft... Seriously. If you want to do some research on chains and understanding them well, read this: CyberPoet's Understanding Motorcycle Chains, wear and maintenance.
                          (F) Your ankles won't get hot, but the engine won't warm you in the winter either. Trade-off.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I bought my 1989 Katana 600 in June with 21000 miles on it. I have replaced the fork seals and anti friction metals in the fork, replaced hoses and gaslines, air filter and of course oil changes. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them. Flushed the brake fluid. My point is I did all of this myself, with the help of the people on this forum and the knowledge contained here. I had never done that type of maintence before. The only thing left is to adjust the valves and sync the carbs; but I haven't tackled that yet.

I've added a tank bag and hard luggage (see my post in the Bodyshop Forum titled Homemade hard luggage. I added a taller windshield (Lockhart Phillips Speedscreen in Tall size). I think I have the ultimate sport tourer, at least for me.

I'm 6'3 210 lbs and the bike is comfortable for me. I will more than likely add a jell seat. I have found as others have said, your speed makes a difference in comfort. In 6th gear I can cruise at 65 mph at 5500 rpms all day.

All in all I'm very impressed with the bike. Being able to preform the way mine does, at the age of the bike is pretty impressive to me.

Good Luck, Hope you get the bike.
                            Smooth is Fast

Comment

I looked at a couple different bikes before I chose my 2005 750...
                              06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
                              06 Ninja ZZR 600
                              05 Gixxer 750
                              04CBR F4i
                              What sold me was the comfort level, looks, performance, cost, and the fact that you can do so many cosmetic and performance mods to this bike. I have hit the 100+ mark only once (earlier thread you can read in the lounge....mind wasn't there.) but the bike will get there. You won't be dissapointed as long as you don't expect to be the top dog...Get it, trick it, and watch the heads turn...good luck
                              "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

Working...
                              X