No announcement yet.
X

Hey aren't you a statetrooper?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend who is a state trooper with a Duck 996......triple digets especially when they have the flashing sign boards stating your speed as you go by!!Hes a safe rider but just like the rest of us at times...

Comment

What? Do I gotta become a cop so I can be a member of the "speed whenever you want" club? Does the word "hypocrite" mean anything to these people?

Comment

I guess it's not really fair. When they are off duty and riding, they should be treated like everyone else and if they are caught for speeding, they too should get fined. It's all about setting examples...........not getting off just because of who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog
          What? Do I gotta become a cop so I can be a member of the "speed whenever you want" club? Does the word "hypocrite" mean anything to these people?
          Does having to go to work next week with the guy who just wrote you a $350 ticket (& got your license revoked due to points, plus bike impounded) and still be expected to be happy covering his back in a crisis make sense?

Every job has it's perks and draw-backs. You get out of most tickets. You might have to catch bullets at odd-hours and often deal with the dregs of humanity. It's a trade-off, one that you can choose for yourself if you can pass the requirements...

PS - this is not to say that I think it's right, just that I see the logic in it for continued solidarity in the ranks.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Does having to go to work next week with the guy who just wrote you a $350 ticket (& got your license revoked due to points, plus bike impounded) and still be expected to be happy covering his back in a crisis make sense?

Every job has it's perks and draw-backs. You get out of most tickets. You might have to catch bullets at odd-hours and often deal with the dregs of humanity. It's a trade-off, one that you can choose for yourself if you can pass the requirements...

PS - this is not to say that I think it's right, just that I see the logic in it for continued solidarity in the ranks.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            For 3:43 in the morning, that's entirely too rational.

Comment

Not only would they have to deal with the civilian aspects of a ticket of that nature, they would also have to deal with the professional aspects of it.

It wouldn't only affect their insurance rates and points, it would disqualify many officers from even being cops. Most agencies don't allow any infractions at all on your license to become and be a cop.

To use C.P.'s example, can you imagine getting someone you work with fired for something he did while off duty? It would be akin to telling your boss that your coworker smokes pot, getting that person drug-tested and then fired. Not cool at all.

Crying hypocrite works both ways. If you want cops to write their buddies tickets, you would have to want cops to write you a ticket. The possiblility that they may(and have) give(en) me a warning prevents me from being upset that they take care of each other.

Comment

good idea get in good with a cop

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                  To use C.P.'s example, can you imagine getting someone you work with fired for something he did while off duty? It would be akin to telling your boss that your coworker smokes pot, getting that person drug-tested and then fired. Not cool at all.
                  Especially if virtually everyone else in the company smokes pot too... (in this case, virtually everyone speeds).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

VERY KOOOOOL !
                    sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

I've lurked here for months, but I had to register and post for this one.
                      I own a '92 Red Kat and an '06 White VFR. I'm also a deputy Sheriff.

Do I speed? Sure, once in a while. Would I write another cop a ticket? Nope. That same person may be my backup next week.

But the other thing to consider here is this. As a patrol officer in a large area, I spend a LOT of time running code. On the highways it's not uncommon to hit 120 Mph. This is that boat of a crown vic no less. I spent a LOT of time training for such driving and had to pass a test 80% of the public wouldn't stand a chance of passing. If every teenager had to pass the same test, the road would be a lot safer, and there would be a lot fewer cars on the road. In short, I trust another officers ability to travel at high speed a lot more than I do the general public.

Speeding and driving like a moron is a whole other topic though.

Comment

VFRstar, your post makes me want to ask a couple questions:

Originally posted by VFRstar
                        Would I write another cop a ticket? Nope. That same person may be my backup next week.
                        Does it matter what jurisdiction he's from? If you work in GA (for example, since your profile doesn't say) and pull over a local PD from Kansas on vacation, does he get the ticket because there's virtually zero chance that he'll be your back-up (ever), or do you extend professional courtesy to him as well?

As a patrol officer in a large area, I spend a LOT of time running code. On the highways it's not uncommon to hit 120 Mph. This is that boat of a crown vic no less. I spent a LOT of time training for such driving and had to pass a test 80% of the public wouldn't stand a chance of passing
                        Second question: does that logic extend to the public? If I told you that in addition to having a standard state driver's license, I also hold a German Instructors' license (I do), a military instructor's license (expired, but did), a professional-level rally license (ditto), would it make one iota of difference in that ticket you are about to write me? Even if you know that to get all these licenses, I had to pass even more training and harder exams than you did? Just curious... My guess is that you'd think of me as some sort of wise-ass and respond on that basis...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I call BS on that analogy. You might call it dealing in absolutes, but I don't think we should just respect the uniform. I think cops need to earn the respect, and that includes obeying the same laws they are asked to enforce. ANYONE (not just cops) who lives by the "do as I say, not as I do" addage is a HYPOCRITE and will not get my respect.

I am not referring to speeding in the line of duty of course, but if you drive fast just because you can, that is plain wrong. Unless you refuse to ticket speeders, then I think I like you very much.

Comment

Do I speed? Sure, once in a while. Would I write another cop a ticket? Nope. That same person may be my backup next week.
                            Sorry, back on my soapbox again...

If you don't trust another cop to do the right thing when backing you up because you wrote him a ticket, he shouldn't be a cop in the first place, should he?

Furthermore, if you don't trust your fellow LEO's, you might want to reevaluate you own career choice. Do you want to have to rely on people you don't trust just because you gave them a speeding ticket? How do you think joe shmoe feels about you when you bust him for some BS 42 in a 35 zone crap? Good thing you'll never need his help, right?

Comment

Guess I should expand on this a bit.... I knew someone would flame, thats ok though. LOL

Professional courtesy.
                              Out of area officers. It all depends on the stop. If it was a stop for simple speeding, I'll extend the courtesy. If it's for passing an ambulance that is running code just because he was in a hurry, nope. (Happened, and he got a ticket.) Again, it goes back to being a moron or not.

Writing local officers has a ripple effect. I could write Joe a ticket and he would be ok with it, but word would spread fast. You talk about not trusting that back up officer, but it would be the other way around. They would see me as the one who could not be trusted. It would make for a lonely job. Do I agree with it? Doesn't matter because it's a cruel world and it's just how things work. Cops are a weird sort, but I love being one.

Speeding.
                              I don't stop cars between 1~9 over the limit, 1~14 on the highway. so when I drive city streets or highway, I stick to my standards.

However I know where a few little used roads are where I may go and open the bike up. Is it still a posted limit? Yep. But the chance of causing an accident with another vehicle is almost zero. I would go to a track, but the nearest one is several hours away.

Cyber Poet.
                              As for all those credentials making a difference, it would depend on the situation. It would be tough to work it into the stop, but if it was just a speed stop, and it wasn't excessive, it could make a difference in my decision. It all depends on the amount over, the location, etc... 40 over on a city street is a ticket for sure. 40 over on a rural road with no traffic or residentials, I MAY let it slide.

Rarely do I have it set in my mind that I'm writing a ticket when I make a stop. Some people talk themselves into a ticket.

Comment

Unless you refuse to ticket speeders, then I think I like you very much.
                                I don't suppose you see the hypocricy in that statement, either?

Comment

Working...
                                X