X

Let the speculation Start...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the speculation Start...

So today I rode Highway for 3 hours straight at a pretty much constant 80 or so mph... had no issues whatsoever. As a matter of fact the 1100 purred the whole time.

I took route 2 back from MA. to do a more leisurely ride home that should have taken me approx 4 hours. All was good until I hit the 2 hour mark.

I think I lost two cylinders. Minimal power and dead exhaust could be heard. Definitely felt like she was running on two.

Stopped and took a quick look under the seat for any possible loose wires... none seen. Restarted the bike and purring again.

Drove fpr approx 20 more miles with no issues. Then it happens again. I am ****ed so I keep riding. 10 miles later, back to all four.

The next two times it did it, I stopped to look further into a possible rubbing wire. Each stop took about ten minutes and then the bike would fire up with no issues.

Drove the last ten miles on two cylinders and what would probably be very high blood pressure....I have a kind of short fuse. Restarted the bike after having dinner, Purring again....

I think I may have a bad coil... throwing a set of plugs into it this weekend before diving into anything really deep.

Please feel free to speculate, I am interested on what may be suggested.
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Coil. Overheats, quits, cools off, works.

Comment

'Fraid that's probably the answer.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Gremlin sitting on top of motor. Butt gets to hot, unplugs coil. Butt gets cold, plugs it back in.

Seriously, sounds like a coil takin a dump.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Other tha WD40 and BreakAway, do they make anything in a can that gets rid of Gremlins???

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
            Other tha WD40 and BreakAway, do they make anything in a can that gets rid of Gremlins???
            My farts. I think that's why I don't have any.

Comment

Exorcist.

Or a new coil...
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Have Chuck Norris drop kick that coil into submission. But before calling Chuck, I'd check the coilwires for any rub-through. Mine were rubbing up against my frame and I did manage to catch it before the orange wire shorted out.
                Last edited by KatKrak; 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM.
                1990 GSXF 1100
                2011 KLR 650

Comment

I ride my bike becasue Chuck Norris Allowes it, I am NOT calling him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
                    unless they package new coils in a can these days, I have to say no.

so ya, I concur with the rest...sounds like you need a new coil. I might have one if you are looking for a used one. personally I would buy new because used coils are a gamble....especially used 1100 coils seeing as they are already a minimum of 20 years old. they are around $103 each on bike bandit.

but if I do have some, $20 is what I would charge you for one, plus shipping, which should be $8-10 from Canada.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Appreciate the offer... I found new ones in Suzuki Parts Warehouse for $91.00. I ordered earlier today with a couple of odds and ends.

These are Suzuki Original and new... Accel makes a set but they are not quite direct replacements and a few bucks more expensive. Dyna also makes them and they are well over the top, not worth it...

Wish you had been on earlier, but considering one coil went, I am pretty sure the other is not far behind.

Don't forget to get back to me about the 1100 parts I have...If you are interested.

Comment

hey bud...imho, you made the right choice. and kudos to you for having the foresite to replace them both. :

as far as those parts.....don't need them. I just checked yesterday and I still have 3 sets of forks and triple trees, and enough calipers and rotors to last me a lifetime. I appreciate the offer though, and thanks.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

No Prob... man, all good.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nut-Nut;2174685]Appreciate the offer... I found new ones in Suzuki Parts Warehouse for $91.00. I ordered earlier today with a couple of odds and ends.

These are Suzuki Original and new... Accel makes a set but they are not quite direct replacements and a few bucks more expensive. Dyna also makes them and they are well over the top, not worth it...
                            /QUOTE]

Over the top? Don't know what that means. I have had dyna coils for about the last ten years on my bike, with the coil relay mod, I have a pretty good spark, actually able to run double the gap what the book recommends.

Comment

The Dyna ones are crazy expensive.... for running a close to stock bike, I do not need to pay for spark I do not need... hence, over the top.

Now, were I cramming extra fuel +a crazy cam, I would consider Dyna's, but since I am not...

Comment

Working...
                              X