Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What do you guys think of a Wider rear tire for my 06 Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waltari
    Screw all you guys and your skinny little 150's and 160's (for all that can't figure it out, I'm being funny)
    Even still:
    Originally posted by BP
    Pros? Only looks, unless it is done with other changes to the suspension.
    I seem to remember you made a few suspension changes..

Comment

Yeesh..this again.

Not only is it dangerous for the reasons stated, it robs your bike's performance. Wider tires weigh more. This makes them harder to spin up and brake down. If you increase your bike's weight, without increasing your bike's power, you simply build a boat anchor. Lord knows, Kat's are heavy enough as they stand.

It's been said over and over, if you want a slow, heavy bike with a wide rear tire, give me your Katana and buy a custom chopper.

Comment

anyone say bigger chicken strips

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Originally posted by Waltari
          Screw all you guys and your skinny little 150's and 160's (for all that can't figure it out, I'm being funny)
          Even still:
          Originally posted by BP
          Pros? Only looks, unless it is done with other changes to the suspension.
          I seem to remember you made a few suspension changes..
          Nothing wrong with upgrading the suspension for BETTER handling or to help connect increased power to the ground due to engine modifcations/swap.

The simple answer is, as a stock bike, the stock rear swingarm and rear rim have neither the capaccity nor the room to accomodate anything larger than a 160 and in some cases a 170 (depending on manuacturer...Avon supposedly make a 170 for a 4.5" rear rim).

Anyone who tells you different is full of shit. Sure, any tosser can have a less than reputable shop cram a 180 onto your 4.5" rim but that means it wll be pinched onto the rim, distort the profile and make for unsafe handling characteristics.

If you go the other way and try to fit a correct size rim for a 180 tire (ie a 5,5.5" rear rim), it will not distort the profile of the tire but because of that the tire will contact the swingarm at the right front inner poin of the swingarm near the brake arm. Rubbing tire equals bad news and eventaul rear blowouts.

Honestly, with the katanas HP there is no need for anything about a 160 rear tire to keep it connected to the ground. I know you're going for looks, but honestly, unless you plan on some serious $$ and full spsension upgrades (read all custom, no bolt ons exist) or have the need because of an extreme increase in HP I'd stick with what you've got.

Comment

i am pretty sure i have a 170 on mine but theguy i bought it from hd it on their and its brand new and i dont feel like buyin a new one

i will check up on what brand later on
            Yo

Comment

Working...
            X