Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1988 1100 clutch conversion problem HELP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 1100 clutch conversion problem HELP!

I just recently picked up a 1988 Katana 1100. 5,xxx miles. Everything is A-1 condition. The woman I got it from ms husband was working on it and he passed away in progress.. the motor was put together so I thought maybe he finished. Got it home and the clutch had no pressure. Tried bleeding it still nothing. Took the cover of to he slave cylinder the piston was functioning. Put it back together sandblasting bled the line. Now it has pressure but ALOT. put it in gear let the clutch out and nothing. Acted like I had the clutch still pulled in. I have now removed the clutch cover and discovered that he has put a aftermarket clutch spring conversion kit on it. I removed the four pressure plate springs and pressed the clutch. The pushrod is actuation but vary slightly. The problem is that the pressure plate that's the 4 spring bolts hold on that the clutch plates grab has a huge gap in it maybe 2cm it can't go in any farther because of the pushrod. But in the small fat rod that the thrust washer and bearing go on for the pressure plate has a wear ring farther down as if the rod got over extending and can't go back to its original position. Please any help or opinions. If needed more info or pictures let me know

The hydrolic clutches are known to be a source of headaches. Might be easiest to swap to a 600/750 gear cover and convert to a clutch cable.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Turned out he didn't have the slave cylinder pushed all the way in when assembled the clutch. But now it is slipping at like 5,000rpms when cold and won't go anywhere when warm.. using Castrol 10w-40 motorcycle oil. The springs are bottomed out.. what's gone out clutch plates or springs? What do I need to replace and what would you all recommend best bang for buck clutch plates and springs..

Comment

Just ordered some ebc clutch plates and springs. Should come Thursday hopefully will solve the issue.

Comment

+1 on the cable clutch conversion !
          Atleast with a cable activated clutch you know for certain that the clutch cable is working.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            The hydrolic clutches are known to be a source of headaches. Might be easiest to swap to a 600/750 gear cover and convert to a clutch cable.
            I think I just found my next ebay Quest.
            01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Working...
            X