RPM's sticking/hesitation when shifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM's sticking/hesitation when shifting

Hey guys,
    I've noticed when my kat get's warm after riding awhile, my rpms' stick or hesitate when I shift almost like I'm speed shifting or like when the kat get's hot in traffic. The rpms go down a bit in the middle of the shift but not much. Anybody know what the problem my be. I just bought my 00 Kat 750 about 4 months ago so I real don't know too much on the history so I'm trying to figure out what stuff I need to do before I do some hardcore wenching on the bike. Thanks in advice.

Throttle cable sticky? Vacuum leak? Try running some sea foam thru the gas tank.

Comment

when the bike is pretty cold (think just off the choke), do the rpms hang up also? throttle cables binding? turn the bars left lock to right lock and see if your idle increases
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I ran a bottle of sea foam in the tank so far. I changed to synthetic a month ago but I do run in traffic time to time, On the sticky throttle cable if I'm just reving up the rpms at idle wouldn't I be able to tell if it's that? Only when I'm riding after 20min or so it will start happen. I don't know about the vaccum leak though. I've been riding it for 4 months and never really had a problem until now.

Can it be dirty oil or the clutch may be going out? I'll work on the throttle cable though and see if there's any problem but when it's cold the rpms don't hang only when it's warm or hot.

Any carb issue? think about cleaning too.
        Last edited by surfly; 10-04-2008, 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          when the bike is pretty cold (think just off the choke), do the rpms hang up also? throttle cables binding? turn the bars left lock to right lock and see if your idle increases
          Mine was doing the same thing (kinda hanging between shifts) , but didn't do it cold . I swapped out the throttle cable (and tinkered with some other stuff while I was in there ) , and joy . My cable had a couple hairs sticking out at the sheath from grabbing it with pliers . I had a new cable on the shelf for almost 2 years after I'd noticed the hairs , but it was never a problem until a few weeks ago .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

mine did that when the idle adjuster was turned up, try turning it down
            99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
            06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
            06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
            lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

I've seen dirty carbs cause the motor to not idle down after being fully warmed up. Would happen not only between shifts but when stopped at a light or sign, clutch pulled in
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks fellas I'll check into that. If l leave that hanging to long will that effect my clutch plate?

Comment

Working...
                X