X

How to: A Streetfighter Speedometer Solution w/ Pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: A Streetfighter Speedometer Solution w/ Pics

This is a write-up on how to install a bicycle computer on your Katana. These are cheap and quite useful as you calibrate it to your front wheel size, meaning even if you change sprocket sizes the speedo will be unaffected. I chose to go with the Sigma Sport BC 1606L. It has a clock, adjustable odometer capable of 99xxx miles, and gives some neat information such as average speed, max speed (claimed accurate up to 180mph), and has several other cool features. I ordered it from ModernBike.com for $32 shipped. Whichever one you choose be sure to get the wired one, the alternator can interfere with the wireless models. Sigma's computers are very popular as even the older models are proven accurate above 160mph.

Now for the install. Total time: ~30minutes

First you must decide where to mount it. The unit comes with a magnet fitted for a spoke. I broke the plastic shroud from it and removed the bare magnet. Next I decided to test a few mounting positions. I found just inside the rotor to work sufficiently. I used some wire to hold the magnet and sender in place, spinning the front wheel to make sure I wouldn’t rip anything off when I got things where I wanted. Once content I mixed some JB Weld and put a good coat over the magnet (clean everything first). You should allow this to cure for at least a couple hours (I left mine to sit overnight), and don’t be afraid to cover the magnet as it will still read.

Now for the mounting of the pickup sensor. I chose to secure this with JB Weld as well. Once again I used wire to test positioning. The instructions state the max mounting distance from the magnet should be no more than 5mm. I placed mine as close as I felt comfortable, spun the wheel and watched to make sure it was picking up a signal. I removed the small pad on the back, cleaned the area, and slapped some epoxy on it. I gave a nice tug on the wire to make sure nothing would move overnight while it cured.

It's up to you to decide where to mount the computer end of this. The holder has a curved back that fits nicely on the handlebar w/ the included double-backed tape. I plan to use an LED for lighting at night, as I don't like having to hit a button for the backlight to stay on 3 seconds. Keep in mind that depending on the model and mounting location you may have to extend the sender wire, mine has about 2 inches of slack to it as it sits.

To calibrate wheel size you measure the circumference of your wheel and enter it as millimeters into the computer. I secured some measuring tape to the center and wrapped it around by spinning the wheel. My measurement came out as 1897mm, your measurement may vary. It is recommended to double check calibration by GPS, stock speedo, or a friend in a car.

Overall I find this to definitely be a worthwhile mod. I could not use the stock speedometer due to installing dual headlights, but even with the factory speedo its nice to have one of these for the features. The Sigma Sport BC 1606L even memorizes and detects settings for 2 different bikes. This requires an extra $10 sender unit, but is convenient if you want to use it on a bicycle or another motorcycle. Takes 5 seconds to swap.

Last edited by Metallihawk; 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM. Reason: w00t a sticky!
    91 Galant VR4 #627/2k
    94 Katana 750 "Streetfighter"

haha, nice man! i just watch my tachometer now, but this looks more fun. not to mention i'd like a working odometer. thanks for the write up w/pics!

what if the battery dies? does it lose it's calibration?
    Last edited by catfish; 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM.
    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Nice!!
      Thanks for doing that.
      $32 good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by catfish View Post
        what if the battery dies? does it lose it's calibration?
        No, it backs up all the settings When you are stopped for a minute or so it will revert to showing the model name and time on the screen, but as soon as you begin moving again it will display speed. Pretty cool because you can compare your trip time and distance when you get to your destination.
        Last edited by Metallihawk; 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM.
        91 Galant VR4 #627/2k

Comment

Is it a standard battery? AA or AAA?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            Is it a standard battery? AA or AAA?
            Button cell 2032, 3v. From what I've read Sigma ships this with a lower quality battery that gets around a year of use, depending on usage I'm sure. The auto display shutdown helps with conserving battery life. Better batteries would yield a longer lifespan. This unit has a low battery indicator so shouldn't create too many problems.
            Last edited by Metallihawk; 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM.
            91 Galant VR4 #627/2k

Comment

awesomeness

now whats your night lighting idea?
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                now whats your night lighting idea?
                Well they actually sell lights that mount on the side of these (LIKE THIS ONE), but what I have done is made my own small bracket for a LED to shine on it from the side. I'll add a pic or two once I get it painted and mounted.
                Last edited by Metallihawk; 04-16-2008, 12:25 AM.
                91 Galant VR4 #627/2k

Comment

yeah, thats a really cool idea.... what speed does that max out at, or does it... like will that do 140 like the bike will? im only asking for hypothetical situations of coarse.... HEHEHE.
                  THE EMAIL BANDIT
                  F4 I stunted out
                  Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                  MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

I have a refinement or two.

I mounted one of these (an older sigma, and also a Kateye that read to 186 mph.) MOunted the magnet inside one of the brake mounting rivet holes with silicon. It never came out.

You can really get the wheel diameter super accurate by stopping by a interstate mile market, resetting the trip odo to 0, then riding to the next one. Compere it's reading to what distance the signs say covered, Tweek the wheel diameter up and down as you do this again, to get super close to perfect.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is something special about the magnet that these systems use or will any magnet work. I have a very strong one that's about .200 in diameter and .100 thick... wonder if it can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkatman View Post
                        Does anyone know if there is something special about the magnet that these systems use or will any magnet work. I have a very strong one that's about .200 in diameter and .100 thick... wonder if it can be used.
                        Actually you want to be careful with that. Over gaussing the sensor could ruin it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip... thought I could have a little more latitude in mag to sensor distance. Trying to meet spec. in the instructions is sometimes difficult.

Comment

Mag. I used was a powerful little button mag, bigger than the one that came with the unit. Works fine.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

just put one on my fighter...................... LOVE IT!

Comment

Working...
                              X