X

Help no power!!!('02 600)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help no power!!!('02 600)

('02 Katana 600)I left my key on yesterday and drained my battery. After I jumped it off from a car that was not running, I got about 3 miles up the road when the guages started shuting off and coming back on. When I got to the stop sign it just died and would not start. I got someone to jump me off again, but when I hooked up to it and turn the key on.....nothing....no lights, no guages, no horn. Could it be the battery or something else burned up? I checked the little fuse box just behind the battery and they were good, but someone said there is a main fuse off by it's self..where would that be? Thanks in advance for any help.
    '02 Katana 600 ~Blue/White~
    '03 Cavalier ~Victory Red~

The battery could have an internal short or an open, either of which would cause this problem.

Replace the battery.
    America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field, and then have a party.

Comment

Your battery is dead, so dead that the grim reaper took your bike out for a ride and made sure it was dead.

Comment

So just because the battery is SO DEAD nothing works even with a charge going into it?

Comment

Batteries with dead cells drain themselves. If you are charging an open circuit, you are simply dumping power into the ether.

Just replace the battery. $50 or so and you will have peace of mind.

Comment

I plan on changing th battery, but I need to know where the main fuse is to make sure it is not blown, which it probably is.

Comment

Under the seat in the little plastic box marked "fuses."

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                Under the seat in the little plastic box marked "fuses."
                I know that....I was told that there is another fuse "off by it's self" some where. Those fuses are for lights, blinkers, ignition. What is the big black box right next to that? It has 12.8v(I think) on it. Is that some kind of fuse?

Comment

Under the tail on the right side , I think . It's like a breaker .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The battery is toast. Period. Replace it.

Typical battery life is 2.5 - 3 years on a Kat because of heat and vibration. If you're still on the first battery, you're ahead in the game. Get a new one and save yourself the headaches.

KNOW THIS:
                    Every time you discharge your battery to the point that it won't start the bike, it's lost 25 to 40% of it's long term storage capacity.
                    Although cold temporarily reduces a battery's ability to produce power, heat permanently destroys it's ability to store & produce power. Running a totally dead battery with a healthy charging system can easily overheat the battery, further destroying it's ability to hold a charge AND possibly risking explosion or acid spills due to the electrolyte boiling (even on maint free batteries like yours).
                    a seriously overstressed charging system can overheat the rectifier pack as well, resulting in no power getting to the electronics. This is a much pricier repair and far more work to get at.

You can work through this to help you isolate any additional electical problems you might have as a result:

CyberPoet's MC Battery and Charging System Diagnostics Help Page.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X