Newbie 2004 Katana 600 with Carburetor issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie 2004 Katana 600 with Carburetor issues

Hello.
    I've been riding a 99 Kawasaki 250 for about 3 years and trying to move up to the 600s. Picked up this 2004 Katana 600 a month ago but it wasn't running. The seller said that it has some carb issues. He said I should just pick up another set of carbs off Ebay to get going quick since he "drilled" a hole in the carb and now it's messed up. I bought a set of carbs and when I pulled the old one off, and found out that it's not exactly the same as the 2004 carbs that I bought. The issue is that the "old" carbs has 2 sets of "tubes" black hoses coming off the bottom near the bowls.
    It turns out that there are numbers on the side of the carbs:
    a)Old carbs: 19E4, L422
    b)New carbs: 19E3, L431
    If I try to put them on, there'll be some "extra" hoses!
    I didn't realize that there could be different carbs on the same model year.
    The problem on the old one is that he drilled out the "plug" from the bottom of the number 1 carb, near the air/fuel mixture screw. Now, there's a "screw" sticking out of it and leaks gas.
    HELP!
    Chan
    2004 Suzuki Katana 600 (current project)
    1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Sounds like you got pre 98 carbs. If memory serves, the pre (97 and older) had a petcock with two hoses, and the post (98 and up) petcock only had one. If it were me, I'd just ebay yourself the Katana petcock with two hoses, drain the tank and swap it out. Don't forget to get a new gasket too.

In the short term, you could put a splitter on the fuel line to connect to both fuel hoses of the carbs, but you May run into fuel starvation issues in higher Rpm
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Actually OP is in CA... and what he describes is the CA emissions vent tubes on the bottom of a CA model bike.

Good news... you don't need them. Plug off the lines and mount the new carbs.

BTW... post good clear pictures of the carb issues with the old set, they may be easily repaired....

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Damn, didn't even think about CA models. Lol I forget about those
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info everybody. Here's the picture of the OLD Carbs (top set with the tubes on the bottom) and the NEW carbs (bottom).
          If I can just plug up the lines, then I can get the new carbs installed in the next few days and try to turn it over. I might need to work on the electricals next.
          Thanks so much guys.

Oh, how can I attach a pic here? It's on my computer and not on some "public" site.
          Last edited by chucky95; 01-29-2017, 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Chan
          1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Comment

Originally posted by chucky95 View Post
            Thanks a lot for the info everybody. Here's the picture of the OLD Carbs (top set with the tubes on the bottom) and the NEW carbs (bottom).
            If I can just plug up the lines, then I can get the new carbs installed in the next few days and try to turn it over. I might need to work on the electricals next.
            Thanks so much guys.

Oh, how can I attach a pic here? It's on my computer and not on some "public" site.
            Go to Imgur.com
            Upload pic
            Post link here

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Here are the 2 sets of carbs

Thanks for the info on posting pictures.

Second try on link:
              [/IMG]http://imgur.com/a/7VNnT[/IMG]
              Last edited by chucky95; 01-31-2017, 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Chan
              1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Comment

So yes, CA model carbs.

If you remove the hoses on the bottom, and just put vacuum caps over the ports, that will work well enough. You can also pull the brass ports out and tap in brass plugs to permanently seal them.

You didn't post pics of what was drilled out, and thus the reason for trying to replace the carbs... Post good close up pic of that.

Krey
                Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM.
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks Krey. The new carbs (bottom set) are on the bike. Just waiting on an oil filter and oil change before I fire her up so I won't bring up all the crud that's been sitting there for the last few years. Will update on progress when that happens.
                  Chan
                  1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Comment

Drilled out plug on carb 1

Here's the screw sticking out of the drilled out plug on carb 1:

Hi. As I was installing the carbs, I noticed 2 tops near the top of the carbs and can't really find where they go (the 2 hoses coming off the T's pointing down). The upper right hose goes to the vacuum line that goes to the back of the petcock, I think. Help!
                    Last edited by chucky95; 02-02-2017, 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Chan
                    1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Comment

Originally posted by chucky95 View Post
                      Here's the screw sticking out of the drilled out plug on carb 1:

Hi. As I was installing the carbs, I noticed 2 tops near the top of the carbs and can't really find where they go (the 2 hoses coming off the T's pointing down). The upper right hose goes to the vacuum line that goes to the back of the petcock, I think. Help!
                      The screw issue is simply a plug. You can remove that plug, and install a new one to permanently fix the issue. It's just brass, so simple to make one if you needed. Measure the hole size, buy a rod that diam, and cut off a small tip of the rod with a pipe cutter = just made a plug.

The 2 hoses your asking about are vent lines. They don't plug to anything. They drape over the air box and terminate at the bottom of the bike. Do not plug them.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X