X

RPM'S at what mph? 600 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM'S at what mph? 600 Kat

What rpm is your 600 Kat running at 60 and 70 mph? Mine is a 91 and is 5k at 60 and 6k at 70mph. I want to drop it for better mpg on the highway. Anyone running a taller gear set up that works well?

My gears are a bit taller (14/42) and it doesn't seem to make much difference (though I've also been without my main fairings for a couple of months so there is probably a lot of extra drag).

This site might help: http://gearingcommander.com/

It indicates the difference between 14/42 and 14/46 at 70mph is 3200RPMs versus 3500RPMs (which clearly does not correspond with real life where you are getting 6k at 70mph). 300/3500=8.6%, so that might translate to a similar savings in gas (which if you got 45mpg before, would become ~49 mpg). Obviously the calculation won't be perfectly true to how it works out in real life, but it might help.

Keep in mind chain/sprocket wear if that matters to you. My 14/42, 112-link setup is NOT optimal. It's too late for me to try to explain the math, but there are some good threads on it if you search around.

I don't know how far technically you can push the gearing... other people will probably chime in.

Comment

If you tach any lower you will be well out of the power-band should you need to get out of a situation quickly.

I would strongly rec. that you don't gear up. Besides, is 40mpg not good enough? The benefits of taler gearing will be minute at best.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am not as worried about mpg as i am spinning the motor 6-7k down the highway for extended periods. I was thinking i could drop the rpm a little to help with wear and tear. My little Kat has 20k on her and I want to keep her around for a while longer. I don't ride 2 up and I am not looking for quickness so taking away some accel. wouldn't bother me. The po put a V&H exhaust on it, wish it were stock. I think it would feel less buzzy at those rpm's too.

Comment

My brother (who has a 94 katana 600) has a stock exhaust sitting in his garage he would LOVE to sell you for a deal. It is immensely quiet compared to aftermarket.
          Last edited by LAsunbird86; 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks if we were closer I'd like to see them. I have seen them cheap, like $20, just shippping is the killer. Like to find some in Michigan near me.

Comment

I did change the gear ratio on my '04 Katana. I, too, was running over 6K on the Interstate at 75mph, our speed limit. The guy that I bought my bike from had done a sprocket change to maximize low end torque for wheelies, burn-outs, etc. Although the power was nice, I do a lot of highway riding and the rpm's drove me crazy. I tried a 16 on the front, and it was too big - not sure why, so I had to go with a 15. On the back, I believe I used the 44. Getting a 2.9xx gear ratio worked perfect for me. I still feel the bike has lots of power, and I love the 1000 rpm drop at highway speeds. I think what I like the most, is the speed I get in the lower gears! I love it!
              Douglas Derby
              Sturgis ATV and Small Engine Repair

'04 Suzy Kat 600

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
                My gears are a bit taller (14/42) and it doesn't seem to make much difference (though I've also been without my main fairings for a couple of months so there is probably a lot of extra drag).

This site might help: http://gearingcommander.com/

It indicates the difference between 14/42 and 14/46 at 70mph is 3200RPMs versus 3500RPMs (which clearly does not correspond with real life where you are getting 6k at 70mph). 300/3500=8.6%, so that might translate to a similar savings in gas (which if you got 45mpg before, would become ~49 mpg). Obviously the calculation won't be perfectly true to how it works out in real life, but it might help.

Keep in mind chain/sprocket wear if that matters to you. My 14/42, 112-link setup is NOT optimal. It's too late for me to try to explain the math, but there are some good threads on it if you search around.

I don't know how far technically you can push the gearing... other people will probably chime in.
                Thanks FOXOX the link is what i was looking for!
                "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Thanks all. Anyone know what the sotck gearing is on a 91 600?

Comment

Either 15/47 or 14/45, suzuki wasn't very consistant with that on pres so it could be one or the other. Mine was 15/47 on my '92
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I'm sorry for ask this what do the sprockets set up do for the bike? And what the number mean like 42F T 530?

Comment

My rear sprock is a 45 so I can guess it has a 14 if it is stock. I will look for a 15. Do they make a 16?

To answer coolbrotha, smaller front sprocket and larger rear = quicker accel. wheelies and such. Larger front and smaller rear = faster on top end but you loose the "quickness".

What is the tallest anyone has heard of being run? 15/42?

I know I will loose drag strip power but not what i am looking for. If it was I would not start with a kat 600. looking for highway comfort ie not buzzing at 6500-7000rpm for 30 miles

Comment

My 89 kat cruises around 6500rpm at 70 with stock gearing, Ive got 92k miles and the internals still look new lol so i dont believe it does much wear and tear. Plus staying in the power band helps when a situation occurs
                          Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                            Either 15/47 or 14/45, suzuki wasn't very consistant with that on pres so it could be one or the other. Mine was 15/47 on my '92
                            Most commonly the 15/47 is associated with the 750cc pre, and 14/45 is associated witht he 600cc pre.

Originally posted by coolbrotha23 View Post
                            I'm sorry for ask this what do the sprockets set up do for the bike? And what the number mean like 42F T 530?

42F T 530 = 42 teeth sprocket with 530 pitch.

OEM kats use a 530 pitch. The tooth count has been changed if your sprocket is only 42 count.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X