No announcement yet.
X

Let's talk about (yes): Fork Seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost had an accident and to not hit in the car I went up the tab, one of the forks leaking is not enough to wet all parts but I think I'll need to replace the fork seal
    I ride race teck springs prepared to my weight I'm a fat guy 135 Kgs
    What better fork oil 10w or 15w ???

Comment

As stated before, I have no idea what was in there before, and they were leaking. Running all stock bits and 10w was a awesome improvement on the feel of the front end. Does feel a bit heavier and the dampening rod adjustments make marked differences. About 180lbs. I believe it's more a matter of which brand, weight, and what level you fill it to.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
        Youch. IIRC I sourced mine from EBay. I used the All Balls Fork and Oil Seals kit. Put plenty of miles on them so far and no complaints (was even towed nearly fully compressed after my bike was knocked over by a drunk guy, hit quite a few famous St. Charles potholes and still haven't gone).

That said, a few members here advised me after the fact to not use the kit and go OEM seals only.

Get a piece of PVC pipe that will slide over the tube (Don't quote me on this but I think 1/2 is the correct size).
        Can source these through a home improvement store pre-cut, good size and easier to haul if you have no other need for piping. Some members here made modifications to their PVC pipes to make them slide inside the lower stanchion to drive the actual oil seal. I suggest instead that you take all the seals you have and just stack them up and give it a few good whacks. if you do this the very first old oil seal you stack ontop might get stuck down there -- CAREFULLY (are you reading, CAREFULLY) use a dentist pick or small flathead to get it out.

The fork oil I used was Bel-Ray Fork oil. Everyday Powersports store ought to have some or once again, E-Bay it.

A micrometer from anywhere, Harbor Freight can be cheapest.

The lower dampening rod bolt can be the bear of the forks. Take a 6mm Allen Wrench and notch of the short end with a hammer and knock it off them file it FLAT. It'll fit right in a 6mm socket and be perfect to apply proper torque for the bolt to get it loose and later.
        Good info! I'll have to do some researching on the whole "seal kit" thing.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        All balls fork seal kits work fine. I've yet to have a set go bad/leak on me, and I've used them in all most all my bikes.

Avoid "no leak" seals like the plague... they don't leak, they spew....

There is a whole thread with detailed break downs of what fork oils work best. Tmod did a bunch of research and posted this. Might wanna do a search for that.

Krey
        Yeah, I think I've already read through T-mod's thread. The reason I asked some questions on this thread is because I'm a total noob to forks.

The lingo in T-mods thread (IIRC last time I read through it) was confusing to me. I'm just not used to all of the lingo that involves a fork yet... working on it tho!

Better change out my fork oil before I start the riding season... and my brakes... and redo my carbs...

The list goes on...

Heading back to T-mods thread for another read!
        2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
        - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
          Good info! I'll have to do some researching on the whole "seal kit" thing.

Yeah, I think I've already read through T-mod's thread. The reason I asked some questions on this thread is because I'm a total noob to forks.

The lingo in T-mods thread (IIRC last time I read through it) was confusing to me. I'm just not used to all of the lingo that involves a fork yet... working on it tho!

Better change out my fork oil before I start the riding season... and my brakes... and redo my carbs...

The list goes on...

Heading back to T-mods thread for another read!

This thread...

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
          swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
          Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            This thread...

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
            swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
            Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Krey
            Looks like that thread has had it's pictures removed.

T-mod mentioned something about switching picture hosts.
            - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
              Looks like that thread has had it's pictures removed.

T-mod mentioned something about switching picture hosts.
              Link to image is working again.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                Link to image is working again.

Tmod

Holy ****! That image of all the oils is huuuuuge! So many choices!

Which one is recommended? Lol
                - Aaron

Comment

little tip for those of you who live with folks who don't enjoy their measuring cup being used for fork oil:

put the appropriate amount of WATER in the measuring cup, then dump that into a solo cup, and mark the level.

Dump the cup, let it dry, and then you have a measuring tool for the fork oil without messing up any kitchen-ware.

If you're ambitious, you can hang onto the cup for next time. I do this for my lawn mower and snow blower (with larger oil containers) so I know I always re-fill with the proper amount.
                  -Chris
                  **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by rk97 View Post
                    little tip for those of you who live with folks who don't enjoy their measuring cup being used for fork oil:

put the appropriate amount of WATER in the measuring cup, then dump that into a solo cup, and mark the level.

Dump the cup, let it dry, and then you have a measuring tool for the fork oil without messing up any kitchen-ware.

If you're ambitious, you can hang onto the cup for next time. I do this for my lawn mower and snow blower (with larger oil containers) so I know I always re-fill with the proper amount.
                    Red solo cup. I fill you up. Let's have a party! Let's have a party!

Sorry, I couldn't resist lol.
                    - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                    X