X

Rear Brake lever adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake lever adjustment

Since I bought my bike new I have had an intermitant problem with the rear feeling like it is trying to lock up in corners... I checked rear wheel alignment, contamination, free play in the wheel, made sure brakes weren't draging, a mate of mine pointed out to me after I had done 2000k or so that there didn't appear to be a great deal of lining on the rear pads, so I had a look and decided that Suzuki must be a money hungry bunch who wanted riders to replace their rear pads more frequently hence didn't put much lining on them from new, and then I promptly forgot about it.

You can guess whats coming from the thread title right?

Well, a few days ago I decided it was high time I had a good look over the bike to see if I could spot any potential issues that needed addressing when I do the next service.
    First Thing I noticed was the glazed looking rear rotor, I then checked the pads...
    Ok so now I know why my rear end felt like it was trying to lock up, funny how a foot on the brake lever tends to do that eh?

Ok you can stop laughing now...

After checking my riding position sure enough when sitting in a relaxed position the rear brake was on.
    So my first thought was sweet, just move the brake lever down one notch on the splines, but that puts it to low.
    My next option was to adjust the master cylinder push rod to drop the lever and then adjust the brake light switch to suit.
    I have done this, but still find I would benefit from being another 2cm or so lower but I have no more adjustment left.
    I still have a small amount of thread left on the rod but the end of the rod is bottoming out, even if I shortened it I would not gain enough adjustment.
    Has anyone else run into this problem and what is the remedy?
    Lets just address the mechanical side of this issue, not the idiot that let it go unnoticed for so long, He may be beyond help
    2006 GSXF750

Originally posted by Black Tuna View Post
    Since I bought my bike new I have had an intermitant problem with the rear feeling like it is trying to lock up in corners... I checked rear wheel alignment, contamination, free play in the wheel, made sure brakes weren't draging, a mate of mine pointed out to me after I had done 2000k or so that there didn't appear to be a great deal of lining on the rear pads, so I had a look and decided that Suzuki must be a money hungry bunch who wanted riders to replace their rear pads more frequently hence didn't put much lining on them from new, and then I promptly forgot about it.

You can guess whats coming from the thread title right?

Well, a few days ago I decided it was high time I had a good look over the bike to see if I could spot any potential issues that needed addressing when I do the next service.
    First Thing I noticed was the glazed looking rear rotor, I then checked the pads...
    Ok so now I know why my rear end felt like it was trying to lock up, funny how a foot on the brake lever tends to do that eh?

Ok you can stop laughing now...

After checking my riding position sure enough when sitting in a relaxed position the rear brake was on.
    So my first thought was sweet, just move the brake lever down one notch on the splines, but that puts it to low.
    My next option was to adjust the master cylinder push rod to drop the lever and then adjust the brake light switch to suit.
    I have done this, but still find I would benefit from being another 2cm or so lower but I have no more adjustment left.
    I still have a small amount of thread left on the rod but the end of the rod is bottoming out, even if I shortened it I would not gain enough adjustment.
    Has anyone else run into this problem and what is the remedy?
    Lets just address the mechanical side of this issue, not the idiot that let it go unnoticed for so long, He may be beyond help
    I have had this exact problem and gone through precisely the same steps to try to remedy... no luck. What I'm going to suggest might not be kosher to some, but, it's the only way I've found so far to fix the problem (and it requires no wrenching on the bike):

Take your foot off the brake... and no, I'm not being a smarty pants, BT.

With the ball of your foot on the footpeg, rotate your foot slightly outward and become comfortable with the feeling of the brake pedal next to, instead of under, your foot. I've been doing it for a while now and am very at ease with it.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Working...
    X