X

Tried a preval tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried a preval tonight

Bought a pint of color, some fast reducer etc (PPG Omin).

Made up a make shift booth out of plastic in my garage. Used my broken fairing. Hit with some 600 wet, washed it down, cleaned it up, tacked it down.

Ended up with 3 coats of color to get good coverage. Was shocked how good the preval actually sprayed.

Color is called "Satin Silver"....

Even without the clear I'm shocked how good it looked.

But alas it looks like I'm biting the bullet and paying someone else to paint the Kat.

First off is me coming to grips with the fact I don't have the time to prep and paint it. Between work, the house and coaching two baseball teams...it would be Fall before I got it done.

Second is I simply don't have the space in my garage. It's just too cramped with all the crap in here.

I got a quote from a co-worker's husband (who just did my buddy's truck and it looks awesome) of $650 for BC / CC.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet....

650 is really not a bad price at all. Just make sure you keep yourself updated as to what's going on with it, and LOOK for runs/nibs/any defects. When I got my car painted, the guys seemed all proud of the work they'd done that took them well over 3 months. 10 minutes of inspection and I was ready to shoot someone. Runs, scratches, overspray.

I paid only half of what they asked

Comment

Well I should know Monday how long the wait will be if I take him my parts early next week.

If it's more than 2 weeks, I've decided I'm going to bite the bigger bullet and do it myself.

After seeing the busted up fairing I painted last night, when I went out in the garage this morning, I couldn't believe how good it looked, and I didn't even spray the clear. I may mess with it Sat morning, Sun evening and sand it back down some and add another coat of color and shoot the clear.

I was experimenting with the preval to see where the best distance / technique was to get the paint on even and thin without runs. I 'broke' the panel up into several sections when trying this....and the middle looked GOOD with 3 coats of color sort of 'fogging' each coat.

I would really RATHER do it myself....it's just a pain with my cramped garage and spare time lately...

We'll see.

Comment

Working...
      X