No announcement yet.
X

Rattlecanned a helmet, results inside.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattlecanned a helmet, results inside.

Well, I thought I would try out another paint experiment for myself...

Here's the story..

I bought a helmet in '06 when I got my first bike (an '86 Yamaha Radian), it was a deep red color that matched the bike. It was one of those cheapo V-Can helmets you see on Ebay (only cost $50, but hell, it was DOT approved and that's what matters the most).

Well when I got my Kat in '07 I felt stupid running around on a Red Helmet (my bike was a metallic flake black). So I tried repainting it. The results were not great, for some reason the clear cracked and the surface of the helmet looked like a shiny vinyl seat. Whatever, you couldn't tell from a distance. So I rode with that helmet until I got my FZ1, I bought a new HJC CS-12 helmet to match the bike.

Well, I figured I would try to make my old helmet look nice again just to have around. It isn't nescesarily something I'm going to use often, and more of just practice painting, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Used Rust-Oleum Grey Auto Primer, Metallic Silver, and an Enamel Clear.

Basically here's the process:

Used a 400 grit sand paper (160 grit in certain areas) to scuff down the old paint job, went over with the 400 any areas I used the 160. Painted coat of primer, alot of areas cracked for some reason so I had to sand down further, and in other areas where it still cracked I just laid out enough primer to completely cover the cracking (and enough to sand it back down). Wet sanded the primer with 400 and then a 600 to level out the cracks. All of this was about a week long process.

Took the rattle can silver and painted a few thin coats. Waited about 15 minutes then applied the clear. Coated the clear on a bit heavier in certain areas to make sure it was fully covered.

Let it dry for 24 hours.

Wetsanded with 2000 grit until the entire helmet felt smooth. Dried it off, then polished it using this "Kit Scratch Remover" stuff. Came out pretty well I think.

I know there's no "before and after" pics, but I was too busy sanding and painting to do it, lol.

Something I found interesting when using this metallic paint was that there was no orange peel what-so-ever for the silver paint, the clear had a little bit of orange peel but not much. The only reason I needed to wet sand with 2000 is because the metallic flakes in the paint create raised bumps (sort of the trade off to having no orange peel) that needed to be sanded level.
    Last edited by Genkenx2; 01-29-2008, 03:14 AM.

That looks awesome! I might try this to design and Army theme helmet so I appreciate this how to thread.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

I've always heard from helmet manufactures that you shouldn't paint a helmet. The solvents in the paint break down the shell of the helmet making it "less sturdy." But then again that could be something the manufacturer says just to get you to buy a new helmet just for a different color....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
        I've always heard from helmet manufactures that you shouldn't paint a helmet. The solvents in the paint break down the shell of the helmet making it "less sturdy." But then again that could be something the manufacturer says just to get you to buy a new helmet just for a different color....

Someone better pass that along to Troy Lee Designs........

BTW, that looks pretty darn good. I feel a retro red flake coming on
        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
          Originally posted by FASHER View Post
          Someone better pass that along to Troy Lee Designs........

BTW, that looks pretty darn good. I feel a retro red flake coming on
          I had a similar thought. I wonder if they use some sort of factory approved paint.

Comment

that turned out nice.

i had also heard you shouldn't paint a helmet, but personally, they already have multiple layers of paint, decals, and clearcoat on them. if you scuff the outside and put a couple of more coats on, i can't see it penetrating thru all of that and degrading the substrate at all. it seems like the chemicals in the paint would evaporate out before it could do that.

but, just in case you close your shield one day and the helmet splits in half, you didn't hear this from me!

Comment

If the paint was cracking after applying, that would mean a chemical reaction between the old paint/clearcoat and the primer. Me thinks that the warnings about painting helmets might have a small amount of truth. It is possible for the paint to react badly and then affect the shell underneath.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                If the paint was cracking after applying, that would mean a chemical reaction between the old paint/clearcoat and the primer. Me thinks that the warnings about painting helmets might have a small amount of truth. It is possible for the paint to react badly and then affect the shell underneath.
                I was thinking that....I was positive I read that when i got my new helmet. I would bet that factorys use some sort fo special paint to paint the type of shell they use without causing problems with the structure of the shell....

Soo dude your helmet looks good...hope it works for ya when you need it....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bell Helmets website
                  Is it ok to paint my helmet?
                  We would recommend using a professional painter who specializes in painting auto racing helmets. Use acrylic enamels and avoid lacquer paints. Never allow solvent or paint to come in contact with the inner liner as they contain chemicals that can cause serious damage. We also strongly recommend trying on the helmet to make sure the size is correct prior to sending it to a custom helmet painter.

Comment

Well I've heard all of that "Don't paint a helmet" stuff also, but this was more of an experiment in painting than anything else.

I have another helmet that I use as my primary helmet, the HJC. The only time I ever use this helmet is when I'm riding a passenger, then I use the VCan and I give the passenger my HJC.

Comment

I've got an ole Vega helmet laying around somewhere that was rat canned a long time ago, I should pull it out and try redoing it.
                      Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                        I've got an ole Vega helmet laying around somewhere that was rat canned a long time ago, I should pull it out and try redoing it.
                        What color are you going to try?
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I've heard that painting or even PUTTING STICKERS on a helmet is baaaaaad for it, and voids the warranty.

Yeah, right, whatever.
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

ONE OF THE BEST iVE SEEN. CONGRATS..
                            my name is pablo I come from mexico I work at texaco I earn a dollar each day.
                            I go home to lucy she gives me some ** she earns a dollar each day.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier View Post
                              What color are you going to try?
                              Dunno, i'm thinking black with 2 gold pin stripes going down the middle.
                              Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Working...
                              X