X

So you wanna get a sport bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you wanna get a sport bike?

I can't take credit for this. I found it on another motorcycle community I check out occasionally. Sums up a lot of the comments on beginner threads I see all the time.

Should be mandatory reading for noobs!
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

while I agree with the sentiment, I do feel that a responsible person would be able to handle any bike as a starter- it's just a matter of respecting the machine.
      I would never have bought anything smaller than a 600 for my first bike, and am super happy that I ended up with my 750.
      the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
      # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
      [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Good post
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

+1. A good post. Thanks for posting this, I've also been saying this advice for some time.

I'm going to forward the pict to my nephew who's new rider who despite parent's advice about riding a bike (ie. start out with an older smaller model), purchased a new GSXR1000 and promptly wrecked it.
            Tony
            1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Comment

i concur, only i would add that before selling/at the beginning of year 2 riders should take the advanced riders' MSF course. I also think one should repeat the advanced course after buying any new bike.
              sigpic
              "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for that post and it is on it's way to my oldest boys inbox! I was informed today dad I want to get a true sports bike, I asked the usual questions I like to be supportive not a ruler. Does it concern me well like Kat said I know he is responsible and rides in good form, but I know what traction is like too and the 25 years there after, I just hope the power doesn't get addictive and just maybe he'll change his mind but not likely?

Comment

My First Sticky! Nearly My First Post! Glad I could finally contribute something after I've learned a ton browsing here over the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                    while I agree with the sentiment, I do feel that a responsible person would be able to handle any bike as a starter- it's just a matter of respecting the machine.
                    WOW, just wow...Responsibility has NOTHING to do with hand-eye coordination and reflexes. Put a "responsible" newbie on a liter bike and just tell them where the controls are and what they do and they are good to go?

I was a responsible 16 year old but I was a crappy driver when I stepped into my first car. It is muscle memory, awareness, and keen reflexes and reactions that are necessary to ride safely. Nothing to do with being "responsible".

Just WOW...

Comment

Awesome post.. If I had read this before buying my Kat 600 I might gone with something smaller.. but glad I didnt!

Comment

It has been my experience that most noobs thinks they are responsible. It is always somebody else that is going to be the statistic in their minds. A young noob friend of mine (one of my troops in the Air Force) bought a 1000cc CBR pushing 170 HP a few months ago. It was his first bike. He swore to me that he was a 'safe' rider. It took him all of two months to drop it and break 13 bones while speeding away from an intersection. Luckily his speech therapy is going well and he'll be able to speak normally again soon. He has been in and out of the hospital for 7 months.

My first bike was a 1985 VF500. It had ~65 horsepower and a steel frame but damn if it didn't feel really fast. It was certainly faster than any of my friend's bikes at the time. I cannot conceive of starting on a bike faster than that. I thank Gawd there were no bikes in my price range at that time that had massive HP that I could afford. Now, a Katana pushing more than that is considered 'slow' and 'heavy.' Newbs are obsessed with getting to the top of the horsepower scale in a hurry these days. 600CC bikes today push more horsepower than a 1000CC bike in '85, and weigh a hundred pounds lighter. However, I don't think a real bike newb thinks about horsepower until they get involved with peer pressure, and magazines and articles that push fastest bikes as being superior and the slower bikes as 'dogs.' I tell all newbs to start out on something smaller, but most do not listen.
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                          I would never have bought anything smaller than a 600 for my first bike, and am super happy that I ended up with my 750.

KK - I don't fully agree with this. Although many people are responsible and don't intend to get crazy, some bikes just are not forgiving and it only takes a little mistake on the throttle to lose traction or pull the front wheel. I think a newb on a liter bike is asking for a lot of trouble.
                          Just my opinion.

Comment

i have read this before, but after getting my first/current bike. I think a 600 is a good bike to start with, at least for me. Im not a small guy (235lbs) and the 600 has enough speed for me. i might get a bigger bike in a few yrs or even a newer 600. im also kind of glad i got it later in life (32yrs old). i think if i would have gotten it back when i was 18 or 20, i would have wanted bigger/faster and probably would have hurt myself with speed.
                            FunEMT
                            2000 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by JIB View Post
                              KK - I don't fully agree with this.
                              that's cool. we're all entitled to our opinions... if we weren't, this would be one helluva boring forum!
                              the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                              # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                              [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Working...
                              X