X

Old tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tires

Would you ride on 10 year old tires? Just curious what your thoughts are on this subject

Hey interesting question.

The "new" tires I just put on my bike are more than 2 years old to start and the Pirrelli Diablo's they replaced were 9 years old but still in good shape and performed very well, even at the track and was comfortable riding on them, but i was mindful they were coming up for replacement. (Even the guy at the tire shop commented they were old).

There's a 4 digit number either stamped or molded into the tyre first two numbers are week of year and second two numbers the year

If they were not particularly damaged/cracked then you would have to expect a lack in performance (hardening) and make allowances for that, and this is subjective to how you feel about the whole subject. But then I would be paranoid about a bike tyre that has "sat" on a bike for 10 years if they had any form of cracking on them I wouldn't trust them.

Personally, I wouldn't have a tyre on my bike for more than 3 years, which is different to how old they actually are, they usually wear out before then though (the diablo's were second hand and just to get the bike running at the time, I was surprised how well they performed).
    Last edited by Lachie; 11-19-2018, 05:01 AM.
    “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
    Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
    ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Good street tires will still be good after 10 years of EZ riding. In warm-hot weather they will soften up and be sticky. You'll only be at risk during hard cornering.
      Good street tires ridden hard on the track, will age very quickly but you'll only be at risk during hard cornering.
      Cracked & dry tires, only good for riding up and down your street at moderate speed.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
        Good street tires will still be good after 10 years of EZ riding. In warm-hot weather they will soften up and be sticky. You'll only be at risk during hard cornering.
        I wish that were true. I saw an article about tire age that quoted an engineer from Continental.
        He said that tires have a shelf life of five years, and then after that, can be put into use for another five years. However, regardless of how they were used or stored, should be disposed of ten years after the date of manufactor.
        This is because tires slowly go through a process where oxygen reacts with parts of the tire compound, making them hard. Ideally, tires are good from up to ten years if stored in ideal conditions, less is more likely.
        I wish it were not true. I have an Azzaro radial on my rear that just might be the last like new 150-80-16 sport bike radial on the planet. I think I got it before a trip to CA six months before I got my C14. It probably has about 800 miles on it!
        It was made in 2010 and the rubber feels stiff and tough. It rides like a solid rubber tire off a stage coach. The front is a near at the limits Azarro, made in 2008. I hate to toss that near new rear radial tire (like they may never be made again!) but you have to listen to science and error on the side of safety, especially on a motorcycle. The bike has spent the last 8 years sitting in the corner of my garage.
        Blandtown & Ardmore, GA tire expires in 6 years. North Decatur & Brookwood Hills, GA perssonal injury lawyer ATL. Call now 478-796-8244

During my suspension redo, I'll be chucking the ten year old front azarro and the ten year old like new Azarro and replacing with Metzler Lasertecs, the same type the bike had when I bought it with 4100miles back in '98.
        How things come full circle!

Comment

I got the 10 year OK from Michelin online. Different sources say different things.
          Me, I'm not gonna dive into a corner on a track day with 8 year old tires!

Comment

Ever taken your bike out for a ride when it was around 20 degrees? That’s how they feel. On the plus side, I bet I could get more miles out of them now than I could eight years ago.
            Back in the old days before polyurethane, to get more rigid frame mounts, mechanics would take rubber bushings and let them sit outside ,trying to speed up the oxidation process. The result was firmer engine /body mounts.
            Same principle for tires
            If someone lived in my area who wanted my tire, I’d gladly give it up. As it is, I’m prepping for replacing a barely used radial with a new bias ply that was designed back when Reagan was president.

Comment

I appreciate all the input guys!!! These are avon tires and the dot date is 2008 and the bike did sit in a garage a while before I bought it. I've ridin on the them short distance and not too hard. Got two new contis but I'm gonna wait till warmer weather to put them on

Comment

Working...
              X