X

fork seal replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork seal replacement

starting the oil change and seal replacement tonight.i have the bike below a a deck so i'm going to try and use the deck to hang it.any advice?

If you have the fairing off I heard that those two strange loops are the C of G..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      If you have the fairing off I heard that those two strange loops are the C of G..
      wtf

Comment

Originally posted by the wind
        wtf
        C of G= Center of Gravity.

Windyou know you can use jack stands on the front part of the frame where it comes down by the oil cooler. The bike will set there and should be stable enough for you to do what you need to. Micdalen did this on his bike and mine when we put in new steering head bearings.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

there is the problem i don't like "The bike will set there and should be stable enough "

Comment

Put some eye bolts rated to hold an overhead load of 600 lbs into the main beams, then ratchet strap away.

Take a look at this... http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28259

Which is how I changed my tires.

Jack stands on the frame should be "more than stable enough" to hold the bike up.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Hell , what's wrong with getting some stout rope , hanging it from the decks bottom boards , and tying that bitch up . I'd do it . Centerstand , fairings off , rope under the "neck" , and take that front end apart . I've done it under worse conditions (centerstand and 4x4 wedged under oil pan) .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

wtf
                This from the guy who wrote:
                is it true?it takes large amount of beer,if your use to really cold winters and take a trip to the smokies in the summer?

Comment

wtf
                  is it true?it takes large amount of beer,if your use to really cold winters and take a trip to the smokies in the summer?
                  there is two sides to the wind,stiring up shit and not.

Comment

wtf
                    there is two sides to the wind,stiring up shiate and not.
                    What am I Grasshopper now??

Comment

i got 34k on it.do you think i need bushings? btw thanks for idea steves.

Comment

Doubt it . I had 55k on mine when I did the seals , and bushings were ok . You won't know fo SHO until you dig in there , though .....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i got 34k on it.do you think i need bushings? btw thanks for idea steves.
                          Were the fork seals leaking badly? If so, could be due to worn bushings. My old GSX1100 manual recommended replacing the bushings any time you pulled the fork legs apart. And if you've got them apart, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Doubt it . I had 55k on mine when I did the seals , and bushings were ok . You won't know fo SHO until you dig in there , though .....
                            would like to have the parts before tear down. and hillsy wrote "any time you pulled the fork legs apart. And if you've got them apart, why not?" because it involves........$s...............

Comment

Chrisman I think installed md's bushings!
                              (well I helped! ) he had about 60+K on his.
                              But I think a lot depends on whether the forks were run low on oil.. You will see if the bushings are gone or just going. You can (if you're careful) reinstall the fork seals later..

Comment

Working...
                              X