X

Chain & Sprocket Conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain & Sprocket Conversion

I found a set on ebay to change the front and rear sprockets, as well another chain. Its called a "520 Conversion Package". I don't know what size sprockets to get. Can anyone help?? The available sizes are as follows: Front Sprocket: 14-17; Rear Sprocket: 39-52. Can anyone Help? Please!! Thanks in advance

This is on an '06 600.
    RUN WITH IT!!

W.F.O.......The only way to go!!!

'06 600 Katana

up i think some or alot of people run a 15front and 50 rear. But don't quote me on that...some go one up or down one on the rear. Not to sure. Some have the 520 conversion for faster acceleration, but i find iwth a jet kit on my bike and a full exhaust, i have to hold on, and that is with stock gearing. But i would recommend stick with teh stock 530 chain, some say the 520 is not a problem, but i just got a kit with sprockets and an xring chain from my dealer that you can find on bikebandit or ebay for about 130 bucks. And it comes with chromoly front sprocket and hardened steel rear and 20k mile warranty. i'd check that out and they also do make a quick acceleration kit, but don't know if they do for your bike.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I personally would not recommend the 520 conversion on a Kat. A 520 chain is lighter weight than the stock 530. It will not last as long, but if you want to buy a new chain and sprockets every riding season then go for it.

Stock sizes for the 600 are 15 front and 47 rear. Dropping one tooth up front or adding teeth in the rear will give you more bottom end torque (wheelies), but you will lose top end speed on the highway. Keeping stock front, and losing teeth on the rear will give you more top end or better mileage on the highway by lowering rpm's.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

So, if I drop one tooth on the front sprocket and/or add one to two teeth on the rear, can I still use the stock chain??
        RUN WITH IT!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

Chains and sprockets wear together like brake pads and rotors. If you change one, you should change both.

However, I notice your ride is a 2006. Depending on the mileage, you might be alright just changing the sprockets. Do a search on here and read up on sprockets and chains.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

I found a 13 tooth front sprocket for cheap. Has anyone used one on a Kat(98+)? Can I still use my stock chain??
            RUN WITH IT!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

I would stick with the stock 530 chain. 520 will be lighter, but will not last as long. 520 is really only good for the track and not worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
                Stock sizes for the 600 are 15 front and 47 rear.
                Stock sizes for the pre 98 600s are 14 front and 47 rear.... is that correct?

What would happen is I put this on my pre98 kat 600? Would it work?

Nick
                My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Comment

To be honest, I don't know if the pre-98's have a 14 or 15 front sprocket. I relooked at my rear sprocket, and it is not a 47... it's a 45. I have looked and looked, but stock sizes are not in my Clymer's manual.

But these are general rules for sprockets and gearing.

Going bigger in the front or smaller in the rear will increase gas mileage, and add top speed at the cost of bottom end grunt. You will have lower rpms at highway speeds.

Going smaller in the front or larger in the rear will increase bottom end grunt (popping wheelies), but you will lose top speed, and gas mileage. You will notice an increase in rpms at highway speeds.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Re: Chain & Sprocket Conversion

Originally posted by shanec
                    I found a set on ebay to change the front and rear sprockets, as well another chain. Its called a "520 Conversion Package". I don't know what size sprockets to get. Can anyone help?? The available sizes are as follows: Front Sprocket: 14-17; Rear Sprocket: 39-52. Can anyone Help? Please!! Thanks in advance

This is on an '06 600.
                    I've done a few 520 conversions and it's worth it only if you buy the best 520 chain avaliable (rk gxw). Alot of the 520 kits on ebay have the vortex aluminum rear sprocket which is o.k., but you need to lube your chain FREQUENTLY or you'll chew that thing up in no time. Don't expect to see anything noticable in the performance department how ever, you don't get much..

What would happen is I put this on my pre98 kat 600? Would it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...-Chain-and-Spr ocket-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35600QQihZ010QQitem Z200024643882Q QrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Nick
                    Run from that dude, notice they don't tell you who makes the chain? It's an inferior chain set for sure...

Comment

I tried a 13 tooth front sprocket, didn't like it. I'm gonna stay stock for now.
                      RUN WITH IT!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

gears for 600 kats
                        88-91=14/46,
                        92-97=14/45,
                        98+=15/47

Court93Kat Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        But these are general rules for sprockets and gearing.

Going bigger in the front or smaller in the rear will increase gas mileage, and add top speed at the cost of bottom end grunt. You will have lower rpms at highway speeds.

Going smaller in the front or larger in the rear will increase bottom end grunt (popping wheelies), but you will lose top speed, and gas mileage. You will notice an increase in rpms at highway speeds.

also remember that changing the front gear has 3 times the effect that the rear does
                        so many toys, so little time
                        92 kat 750, 04 f350psd,cc, 06 Roush stage 2

Comment

So what is a good size to go with on a 98+?? I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 to the fron and 3-4 in the rear.
                          2000 Katana 600

Comment

WHY?
                            while it sounds nice to do a swap just to do a swap,

Katana600Guy Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what is a good size to go with on a 98+?? I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 to the fron and 3-4 in the rear.
                            by adding teeth to both gears would be redundant,
                            What are you actually wanting your bike to do? this info will help greatly
                            so many toys, so little time
                            92 kat 750, 04 f350psd,cc, 06 Roush stage 2

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600Guy
                              Let's start with some basics:
                              Sprocket Ratios for your Katana: 98+ Kat 600 Sprocket Ratios. It will show you what's stock, and what changes you get by picking any particular combination. It will also tell you some pitfalls of various combinations.

Now, a general rule of thumb, we can say 1 tooth less in the front is the same as 3 teeth more in the back. Making the chain turn a tighter radius in the front decreases chain life expectancy, but in the short run, a smaller front sprocket is cheaper than a bigger rear sprocket (on the other hand, in the bigger picture, replacing the chain faster negates that cost advantage all-together).
                              You can fit virtually any size rear sprocket on the bike (I've seen 74 tooth rears on Kats). But when you go to a larger rear, you'll need a longer chain to make up for the extra distance the chain has to travel to go around that rear sprocket (not an issue with a smaller front sprocket, although you should probably lose one link for a 14 tooth front and 2 links for a 13 tooth front).

PS - it makes no sense to go to a larger front sprocket at all. Because your bike isn't spending most of it's time cruising at peak torque already (the most efficient zone of the engine), increasing the front sprocket size won't net you much in the way of fuel-mileage improvements unless you ride literally hundreds of miles at a steady speed, and will require both a longer chain and longer to accelerate. The biggest sprocket you can fit in the front is 16 tooth -- after that, there are clearance issues (yes, some goofball tried it way back when in the KP/pre-KR days).

Good Luck!
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X