No announcement yet.
X

Working on wifes 1990 GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is best I can do at the moment with the pictures.

I need to know what it is because I dont want to tear appart engine if those are clutch parts. Although, the material looks like it is part of the engine casing/block or similar.
    Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 03-07-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

The 2 in the third pic look like they could be part of your clutch basket, the other s are too small and chewed up really.
      Pull your clutch cover and check the outer basket.
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
      V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
      Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

I was really hoping for such an answer.

I suspect clutch basket also because cluch really did make thumping sound like it had loose basket but i was not sure is it able to reach oil pan if broken. Will check that tomorrow.

Thanks.

Comment

Lashing the valves is slang for adjusting them. "to boot" is also slang for as well as. So not only did he fuck up and break a bolt but he fucked up the valve adjustment too.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanks for explaining that. I was really confused about what you wrote.

Anyway, the clutch basket is smashed.

Does anyone knows where I can get another one for cheap? Any alternatives?
            Apparently, its trouble for local stores to get one so it will be very expensive.
            Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Clutch baskets have been known to "explode". Lucky most of yours stayed together. Did you find any more pieces behind the cover?
              I think ebay would be your best bet to find a new basket. Maybe a local salvage yard too. One from the dealer would be real pricey I would imagine, online price is $205 probably double that from the stealership.
              EDIT: the online stores show the part is obsolete.
              Last edited by ZookRick; 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM.
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Nothing behind the cover. All the pieces ended up in oil pan.

I would like to buy a new one. I dont know how much abuse used ones have got, because if its too much those could also shatter due to stress.

If the part is obsolete what is its replacement?

Comment

Does someone know are those two clutches interchangeable?

I have the first one, but second one looks quite stronger. I dont know if its better but basket looks much stronger.

Comment

How long have you owned the bike? the PO might have been pretty hard on it. Like revving it up and dumping the clutch, wheelies etc. The basket might have been like that since you got it?
                    You might be able to find a sturdier basket but figuring out what one would fit would be a lot of trial and error.
                    I thought maybe a kat 750 basket might fit but the number of teeth on the primary gear are different.
                    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

We got bike few months ago and I am sure we got it like that.

I was already told that 750 basket wont fit, but what about that clutch on second picture I posted? According to seller, both had been stripped from Katana 600.

Comment

Not according to the fiche that I have looked at, not even a post 600 or a bandit 600.

Some ebay sellers really have no idea of what they are selling.
                        Under normal riding conditions that basket would never break like that, unless it was seriously abused.
                        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

I have done some research and apparently those two clutches indeed are from the gsx600f. I am still trying to find out are those interchangeable, and right now everything suggests they are but I havent confirmed that for sure.

In the meantime I will buy basket for my clutch, but I will also buy this different clutch the first chance I see it at a bargain price.

Comment

I have another problem... I have traced over twenty clutches for sale in my country and all of those have straight teeths on flywheel. My flywheel has narrow teeths (I think English term is helical). I also looked on ebay and there is only handful of narrow teeth clutches for sale and those are all for 1988 engines. Is such setup exclusive for 1988 katana or am I missing something here?

Also, in case I wont be able to get narrow teeth flywhel is it possible to just replace starter motor with newer one that has straight teeths and just bolt on straight teeth clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Dark View Post
                              I have another problem... I have traced over twenty clutches for sale in my country and all of those have straight teeths on flywheel. My flywheel has narrow teeths (I think English term is helical). I also looked on ebay and there is only handful of narrow teeth clutches for sale and those are all for 1988 engines. Is such setup exclusive for 1988 katana or am I missing something here?

Also, in case I wont be able to get narrow teeth flywhel is it possible to just replace starter motor with newer one that has straight teeths and just bolt on straight teeth clutch?
                              There are 3 versions for the 88-97 600cc engines.

Models J/K/L/M
                              Models N/P/R/S/T
                              Model V

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Starter? The alternator run off the clutch/flywheel. What is the engine number?
                                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran
                                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                                X