X

Time capsule Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time capsule Katana

Just picked up this 99 Katana 750, been sitting on its center stand since 2005 until recently, 7900 mi. on odometer.

PO's son cleaned out the tank and ran it around the block, low sides it in the first corner on the right.

Engine idles like a bag of rocks rattling around.. not sure if it is the cam chain tensioner or the valves.. any ideas?

Definitely pop off that valve cover and check the cam chain tensioner, valves and chain are within limits.

After sitting for that long you might also want to check most of the fluids, chain for wear, brakes for functionality, fork seals/fluid, tires for flatspots/dry-rotting etc etc.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Likely need to clean the carbs as well (they are likely part of the crap idle problem), replace brake lines and fluid. Replace those tires entirely, flat spots or not. Rubber hardens over time, and those tires are minimum of 10 years old.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Engine purrs nicely above 2k rpm, a little surging w/constant throttle around 5-6k rpm, probably because I put 1/2 can of Seafoam mixed w/fresh fuel.

Anything below 1.5k rpm the engine sounds like a bag of rocks.. choke off=engine dies...
        maybe give the Seafoam 24 hours to work its magic.

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
          Engine purrs nicely above 2k rpm, a little surging w/constant throttle around 5-6k rpm, probably because I put 1/2 can of Seafoam mixed w/fresh fuel.

Anything below 1.5k rpm the engine sounds like a bag of rocks.. choke off=engine dies...
          maybe give the Seafoam 24 hours to work its magic.
          If you're hearing excessive noise from the engine, it's the valves. An adjustment isn't truly hard, I've made a awesome write-up on it and your adjustment is locknut so it's even easier.

I don't know how else to say this so I'm just going to be blunt -- that seafoam may do wonders I agree but it won't do jack **** for your situation. Assuming the carbs sat (they have), wern't drained (seems they wern't) the reason it won't idle is because your pilot circuit is gummed up. The hesitation around 5-6k might be from a diaphragm spring sticking a bit (gummed up, once again. Download and follow Carbs 102, inspect everything for proper operation and be sure to dip them for 24 hours each and use compressed air and carb cleaner. There's not getting around that last bit and you won't have to ask me how I know because I tried it back when I was a carb noobie.

As with any vehicle that sits for that long a time, it'll need a basic tune-up before it's truly ready for the road. Working on Kats is incredibly easy, I didn't know anything when I bought my bike.
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Anyone know what kind of seat that is? Doesn't look like OEM seat, definately not a Corbin...

Comment

Sargent?
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I was wondering about the seat too. I like the style. Nice looking bike.

If it were me, I'd do new fork oil, spark plugs, and maybe air filter in addition to the valve/cam check, carb clean/sync, oil change, and tires (Pilot Road 4). What condition are the chain and sprockets in after all those years?

Looks like a great bike in need of just a bit of polish.

Comment

Seafoam is working, engine idles longer w/choke off now.. smoother low rpm, less surging.
                  I bled the brakes, now the levers are not as soft and spongy.

I will put a bit of Seafoam in the crankcase and run it a few miles before changing the oil.
                  Wait until valve cover gasket gets here before checking into the valves and cct.

Comment

I've done the seafoam in the crankcase on a car, never on a bike. Was always worried about that screwing with the clutch plates. If you do it, I'd be interested in knowing if it does/doesn't effect them. I've got an old 92 1100 that I'm sure has a lot of sludge that an oil flush just won't get.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                      I've done the seafoam in the crankcase on a car, never on a bike. Was always worried about that screwing with the clutch plates. If you do it, I'd be interested in knowing if it does/doesn't effect them. I've got an old 92 1100 that I'm sure has a lot of sludge that an oil flush just won't get.
                      Old thread on ADV Rider about SeaFoam in wet clutch engine crankcase.

I've been using SeaFoam in motorcycles with wet clutch for years to clean out stuff.. works great for me so far and I will keep doing so.

Comment

Well, took off the sparkplugs and 2 out of 4 were fouled up, those 2 cylinders the valves were out, too. New spark plugs, adjusted the valves, new valve & plug gaskets. Cam chain doesn't seem to make noise after valves are done.

Float valves on the two cylinders were gummed up, Seafoam did great job loosening them up, when I took apart the carbs they were easy to clean.

With valves done, carbs cleaned, sync'ed the throttle, I started to change the oil; drained out little more than 6 qt. from the drain plug, PO must had filled the oil with bike sitting on the sidestand until full mark of the sight glass. The old oil was still coffee color, I put in fresh Mobil 1, new oil filter, filled to proper level.
                        Flush the brake fluids, front and back, check brake pads, tire pressure.. it rides like a brand new bike now.

Seat turned out to be a Suzuki gel seat, factory accessory for the Katana, pretty neat shape and comfy for little time I've spent riding on it.
                        Last edited by "K"; 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

So, now I just realized (after 16 years) the dealer screwed me. My OG 98 600 was supposed to have gel seat. I assumed it looked like the normal one but didn't know better.

Wow.

Nice clean up.
                          Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
                          Ride: 2002 750F Kat
                          "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

Working on a stock like like this is straight forward, makes me appreciate the PO keeping it unmolested.
                            Sometimes I wish some of the newer bikes are as easy to work on, but with all the specific diagnostic tools and computers required like cars. Good thing these old GSXR engines are rock solid and plenty of parts/upgrades available.
                            Maybe I will keep this one around for bit.. make my commute between PHilly & NYC little more entertaining and keep the Ninja 250 in NYC jaunts..

Comment

Hello and thanks for the forum. I recently got a time capsule Kat myself, 01 600 with 1200 miles on it. This forum has been very helpful to me and probably saved my life I didn't even think about the fact that the tires on my bike ,although new looking are nearly 15 years old. This is my first street bike and I have to use your guys experience to learn from since I don't even know another bike rider near me. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X