X

Post gauge cluster on a pre katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post gauge cluster on a pre katana?

I have a 92 katana with the stock wiring harness. Right now it has no gauge cluster. I would really like to put a post gauge cluster in it, but wanted to know if this is even possible. I know the pre's use a drive cable to move the speedo meter, while the post's use a magnetic sensor. Is it possible to hook up a post gauge cluster and have the speedo and tach work properly without trying to rig a sensor? Basically, I'm wondering if the post speedo can even be run via the drive cable method. The actual wire splicing is no problem, as I've already checked the diagrams for the pre and post Katanas and have worked out a game plan.

I prefer the look of the post panel and have already figured how I'm going to attach the top panel. Basically, I'm just in the mood for a small project, but want to make sure what I'm trying to do is even realistic.

Originally posted by pr1v1t View Post
    I have a 92 katana with the stock wiring harness. Right now it has no gauge cluster. I would really like to put a post gauge cluster in it, but wanted to know if this is even possible. I know the pre's use a drive cable to move the speedo meter, while the post's use a magnetic sensor. Is it possible to hook up a post gauge cluster and have the speedo and tach work properly without trying to rig a sensor? Basically, I'm wondering if the post speedo can even be run via the drive cable method. The actual wire splicing is no problem, as I've already checked the diagrams for the pre and post Katanas and have worked out a game plan.

I prefer the look of the post panel and have already figured how I'm going to attach the top panel. Basically, I'm just in the mood for a small project, but want to make sure what I'm trying to do is even realistic.

Yes, it can (and has been) done.

Check out Mreedohio's build threads.

As for the speedo, they sell cable to digital output options that can convert it for you to use the wheel driven speedo witha digital gauge.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks. I must have missed that one when I was searching the forums. Now I just have to finish fabricating a bracket for the top panel (also post). Strangely enough, all the spare parts that came with the bike are for a post Katana, even though the bike is a 92.

Comment

Working...
      X