repairing a drop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repairing a drop

Hey
    just bought my bike from a guy who dropped it.
    the plastics are in need of quite a bit of repair and there's alot of scuffs in it. I like the paint scheme it has so I'm wondering if you think it'd be possible to touch it up (match the paint) or if it'll have to be redone. the flames on the bottom are done with chameleon paint so I dunno if it can be touched up.
    let me know what ya think
    Attached Files

repair and repaint. That crack by the mirror looks pretty bad. Some abs epoxy or plastic welding should fix it though.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

that whole piece between the windshield an mirror is broke off just being held on by the windshield

Comment

repair and repaint.

Comment

Not a fan of the flames in the first place. Just ditch them especially sice the scratches and breakage are bad enough that salvaging them would be a true PITA and probably the equivalent to milking a cat.

Go back to basics and repair/replace and repaint to fit you.

Comment

Here's a couple pics I snapped of it tonight with my phone.
            gonna be a fair bit of work on the fairings before it's time to think about paint
            Attached Files

Comment

Whoa! Both sides. He must've high sided it, no? Looks like a lot of work, but if you can do it, why not. It may be easier to try to find plastics on ebay or here.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

story I was told was he dropped it doin bout 40 (km/h) then the next day wind blew it over onto the other side which broke the right hand mirror and brake lever off, also causing the damage to the fairings. gonna try my hands at fixing it but I'm new at all this so it'll be interesting to see how it'll come out

Comment

Originally posted by gsxblaze View Post
                  story I was told was he dropped it doin bout 40 (km/h) then the next day wind blew it over onto the other side which broke the right hand mirror and brake lever off, also causing the damage to the fairings. gonna try my hands at fixing it but I'm new at all this so it'll be interesting to see how it'll come out
                  Talk about a bad 2 days.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I did some plastic repair (though not the best way), but it has still held to this day. If you want to see the thread on it, search for user name 'Sasquatch' and thread title 'repairing lower cowl'. It was my first (and only) attempt at repairing plastic, so its not great, but it works.
                    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

picking up some epoxy, fiberglass and bondo tonight so I can get started on fixing them up. hopefully be able to get it all together. thinkin bout epoxying the cracks then fiberglassing the back sides of them to help hold it together.
                      figure that'd give it enough strength?

Comment

So how did you make out with the repair? I dropped mine and to to make repairs to the right side. Was looking at repair shops but want to do some work myself to cut some of the costs down.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        __2006 Kat(GSXF) 600__

Comment

epoxy's holding so far on the majority of the cracks. took some pics as I was going to post them on here but dropped the camera and it won't turn on now.
                          threw out my back so work on it has slowed down hopefully doc'll give me some good pills and get me back at it begining of the week.

Comment

the bikes luck rubed off on u I see. hope to get mine fixed soon. what brand of epoxy and type to get?
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            __2006 Kat(GSXF) 600__

Comment

Sorry about the wounded Kat. In October I dropped my 06 Kat 750 at 70 mph and it slid about 90 feet. It scraped the mirror, broke out the turn indicator, and put three deep scrapes with gashes all the way through on the upper right fairing...but hey, I survived, walked away from it (at least a little way before lying down in the sand).

Two weeks later I ordered a pair of turn indicators, bought some chrome wire mesh, and removed the fairing. I didn't think I could match the metallic red paint, so I cut the scratched areas out with a Dremel, then carved the cut-out places into "scoops", following the shape and contour of the fairing's natural lines. Then I shaped the chrome mesh to fit the shape and contour of each cut-out, and epoxied each of the three pieces into place from the back of the fairing.

I intended for this to be a temporary fix until I could get the $400 together for the unpainted fairing replacement. However, it looked so good that people who have seen the results have told me it looks so cool that I ought to do the same exact thing to the other side. I laugh and tell them, "No way! That spill at 70 put me on crutches for two weeks. I might not survive another just like it on the other side!"

Seriously...think about fixing it yourself and backing it up with chrome mesh if you have to make cut-outs. I think you'll be surprised at the ease of the job as well as the results.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                              X