X

Rough idle/ oil in carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough idle/ oil in carbs

Ok so this morning I took my 94 gsx600f for a ride about an hour, ran great as it has for the last month. I was there for 20 min she fired up fine and ran good for bout five miles, had to stop at a light and she died. Got it started up after a min but wouldn't idle. So I just have it a little gas when at idle and it did fine. Ran good going down the road. So I figured it was something in the idle circuit. Got it home started to take it apart and found oil on the lip on the intake side of the carbs and can see a couple spots on the valve stems but none in the air box. But I did find a drop of oil in the hose from the blow back. I know there is probably another post in the forums but the search box isn't working on my phone.
    Also my oil is now about half a quart low and doesn't have fuel in it.

Oil in the airbox is normal as long as it's minimal. How is your fuel damage? Check the header temp at first start up, they should all be hot. Either you're dropping a carb or a bad plug.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-02-2015, 11:02 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No fuel damage. Just ment no fuel in the oil. There was enough oil to fill the lip of the intake side of the carburetor on 3 & 4, less in 1 & 2. Had to go to work just now getting back into the bike

Comment

So I pulled the plugs to check for spark. All four had the same Orange color, so I replaced them. Tried to start the bike to see if that would help and it wouldn't start at all. So I took the carbs off. Cleaned them per carbs 101. Still nothing. Motor just spins and spins but doesn't even act like it is trying to fire up. Any ideas. I don't know what else to do.

Comment

That's a fast turn around time for cleaning your carbs. it seems to me your rushing the job. I may be wrong but you said your spark plugs were orange, did you mean tan colored? If tan they were fine! Run us through the list of things you checked
          gas tank clean
          fuel filter
          fuel lines not kinked
          battery good
          fresh gas
          clean oem air filter
          carbs,float heights , needles stock or jet kit.
          How did you clean those carbs? Did you bench sync them?
          Last edited by loneraider; 07-03-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Everything is stock. Carbs were cleaned per carbs 101. Meaning I tore then completely down let everything soak ( about 26 hours ) in chem dip. Checked slides, needles, emulsion tubes, jets, float needles, floats for wear. Float heights at 14.6 . A/f screws set to 2.5 turns out. the spark from the old plugs was orange in color, replaced plugs. New plus give blue spark. Yrs I bench sync the carbs all butterfly's rest at showing half of the 3rd hole inside the carb bodies. The gas tank has just a few particle in it but I have a speaker magnet under the tank. As far as I can tell it is keeping them( want to have it cleaned and lined but for now the bike is my only transportation) the battery has 12.2 v

Comment

Ok so I borrowed a buddies compression tester today and got a reading of only 3 on cylinder 1. It's a blown bad gasket, So I'll be down for a week or more. Does close to winston salem nc know anywhere I can get a gasket set faster? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comment

Working...
              X