X

What is a good sprocket combo? Brand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good sprocket combo? Brand?

It's time to replace the chain and sprockets on my '01 600. With the set-up that's on it now, I have to shift through the first 4 gears pretty quick until I'm up to about 50mph. The rear sprocket is 47t (I haven't taken the front cover off to see what that tooth count is yet). Is that normal, or should I go up/down a tooth. What would be some options of good brands? I don't need top of the line stuff, but also don't want to have to replace it again next year. Is there a big difference between O-ring and X-ring chains?
    sigpic

JT sprockets, GSXFJim makes sprockets any way you want. D.I.D, RK or EK o-ring or x-ring chains. 14 tooth drive sprocket is standard, do not go smaller. 15 and 16 will fit but, the 16 will require cover modification. This will help with ratios http://www.gearingcommander.com
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks for the info!
      If I read that chart correctly, stock front sprocket should be 15t/rear 47t. My rear tire is larger than stock. That changes things up a bit too. I have 160/60 R17. So to get out of the situation I'm having with high RPM with low speed, and having to shift so quickly through the first 4 gears, I should drop the rear tooth count by one or two (if I read it right). According to the chart, it really wouldn't affect the top end speed, but would let me stay in the lower gears longer with more speed. Is that right?
      sigpic

Comment

Correct on the drive sprocket and the gearing.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I'm running 16/47 Vortex sprockets and RK xring chain. got >50K miles on last one. the side cover had to be ground a little for clearance.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I'm staying away from vortex anything. Bad quality.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              I'm staying away from vortex anything. Bad quality.
              Is 50K not enough mileage on an aluminum sprocket?
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I'm not discrediting your choice. I'm just saying I won't use a vortex anything. My choice.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                X