X

Safety switch on clutch, I need help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety switch on clutch, I need help.

How is the switch controlled? Is in the clutch handle itself, or it is on the end of the clutch in the engine? I have to really squeeze my clutch in and roll it slightly to get the bike to start, and I have tried to adjust to no avail. Any ideas? This problem is starting to get worse and I dont want to be out somewhere and not be able to start my bike because of a safety feature that is malfunctioning.
    2000 Kat 600
    "Fast Blue"
    Pic in Profile

is the clutch hard to squeeze.. I had a similar probles and it was a lock nut in the clutch. (worm gear) that had backed out.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

No, the clutch pull is fine, it is only the fact that I really have to squeeze the clutch and grip extremely hard to get the bike to start. I am assuming it is the safety switch. I cant seem to adjust the problem out.
      2000 Kat 600
      "Fast Blue"
      Pic in Profile

Comment

tighten the clutch cable per owners manual:
        free play 10-15 mm (0.39-0.59 in)

the switch is at the lever
        tim

Comment

The back end of the lever hits the switch, behind the pivot point for the lever. If you look closely, you'll find a three-wire pigtail coming off the switch. There are a couple small bolts which hold the switch in place -- you may need to adjust the position, or your clutch lever may be bent (or aftermarket and not the same size)...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

when you are starting it are you doing it with the kick stand down?

It might be that the motorcycle still thinks it is in gear. I know on my 04 the cycle will not start with the stand down and in gear.
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

It does not matter in which postion the stand is in, I can start my bike with it up or down, however, I cannot shift into gear with the stand down. I will try to adjust some more, it helps to know the switch is on the lever itself and not in the case on the other end of the cable. Maybe something is worn and needs replacing. Thanks for the input, I will investigate more tommorrow and give an update.

Thanks again!
              2000 Kat 600
              "Fast Blue"
              Pic in Profile

Comment

usually if the clutch pull is to hard the adjustment is too tight. IMHO

I would double check the settings Trinc gave you. I have also found adjusting it cold rather than at temp helps.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                X