X

82 Kat won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 Kat won't start

I bought an 82 GS1000SV Katana from a co-worker of mine. He had taken it apart to paint it as a winter mproject and never put it back together. I offered him $100 for it and he sold it to me. I spent about 2 weeks to paint it and put it all back together. I bought a new battery for it and went to start it today...NO START! The starter just kinda lopes along and will every so slowly do about 2 or 3 cranks then quit. I release the starter button and try again, same deal. I can do this process 3-4 times and then it wont crank at all; the starter relay will click but the starter wont turn, also the wire to the starter gets incredibly hot! I can however pull the bike at a few miles and our and "pop" the clutch in first gear and start it that way. so now a couple questions...

Did I get a good deal on this bike?

Is it rare?

What are the thoughts on the no start issue?

I don't know much about these bikes. I am however mechanically knowledgable and am currently going to school for automotive technologies. Any info will help!

The 1000 cc Kats were built to allow Suzuki to race in superbike at the time. They were only made in 82 and 83 I think so they are quite rare. Check this link:
    http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-serie...V_Katana.shtml.

As for your starter woes, there's really only 4 things to inspect in any electric start - battery, solenoid, starter motor, starter clutch. Since you say the battery is new, you can move on. The solenoid is working to some degree (because it is turning the motor), but it may still be suspect. However, seeing the starter cable is getting hot, I would think it is the starter motor or the starter clutch that is restricting movement and heating up the starter cable. Try taking out the starter motor and seeing if it moves freely / spins under power. If not, that's probably it. If it does, then you might have starter clutch issues. You need to remove the stator cover and rotor to get to the starter clutch (you will probably need a puller get it off). Good luck!

Comment

Did you charge the new battery ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsy
        The 1000 cc Kats were built to allow Suzuki to race in superbike at the time.
        If you have $100 some paint and time into this bike.. Oh and a battery you have about $2000 in profit available IMO..

As for your starter woes, there's really only 4 things to inspect in any electric start - battery, solenoid, starter motor, starter clutch. Since you say the battery is new, you can move on.
        Good discription, I'm gonna nail it down though. It's the starter.
        Battery, nope new.
        Solenoid (relay) nope that should be a go no go issue (should)
        Clutch, nope again if the starter is turning the motor it is working.

The wire getting hot is an excellent bit of information! That is telling you that a huge amount of current (being made available by the new battery) is traveling to the frame with little resistance (or without being "used"). This current should be used by the starter as work turning the engine. Since it is not it is turning into heat. Leave it too long and it will turn into light! What I think is happening is your starter is sending a lot of the current right to the frame with out running through it's coils (where it gets turned into spinning force).. Get a new starter and at least you are on your way to getting this fine piece of history running..
        Good luck! Even though we deal with the later GSXF model Katanas here I for one love these old beasts, and am happy to help you get it going!

Comment

Thank you all sooooooo much. ill pull out the starter and get a new one. Anybody know where i could get one? ebay? dealer? any aftermarket? Thanks again!

Comment

Geez New Hamptser huh??
            There was an MC salvage yard in upstate mass..
            Skycycle? Something? Last I was there it was like 1994.. You might see if there is a shop that can first off test it.. Second rewind it. In the long run that might be better as you will have a basically new stater where anything off eBay or a junk yard is 25 years old..

Comment

If it's compatible with the starters on the GS's, you can still buy new ones.

-Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Battery, nope new.
                I saw that , but even new batteries need the initial charge , and if you buy them mail order , they don't come charged .... Was just a thought before freaking him out with what it COULD be .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Battery, nope new.
                  I saw that , but even new batteries need the initial charge , and if you buy them mail order , they don't come charged .... Was just a thought before freaking him out with what it COULD be .
                  Well the wire getting hot was the key to the battery providing plenty of current..

Comment

yes i did charge the new battery. good thinking though. sometimes people do bypass the obvious. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Battery, nope new.
                      Well the wire getting hot was the key to the battery providing plenty of current..
                      Oh . I thought the wire'd still get warm in either case .

Comment

ANY starter from an 82 GS will work....BP nailed....but sorry...the bike isn't worth it.....

I feel bad for you....I'll take it off your hands....I'll give you every penny you put into it.

remove the starter, you might be able to rebuild it, but I think a used one will be the best route, your dealer might even be able to source one for you if you absolutly have no other option, but those engines are everywhere.

(DAMN nice looking bike....you did an excellent job painting it, but theoretically, decreased its value)

Comment

What a saint!!

Comment

I'm actually thinking of selling it if anyone is interested. I'd let to get $2000 or best resonable offer for it. It is an 82 GS1000SV with 38,000 miles on it. i read that it's the "U.S." edition or something because it has no fins under the front headlight. from what ive read there was only 3000 of them produced so it''s fairly rare. let me know if ur interested...spread the word. I have pics also. e-mail me with any questions. [email protected]

Comment

$2000.00 for a $500.00 bike that won't start?

Comment

Working...
                              X