X

Arkansas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas

Well good morning to all. I recently acquired 2003 kat and am looking for bits of guidance working out the bugs.

So my bike has been sitting for severa l years. I flused tank, changed oil, checked plugs. Upon starting the bike ran rough. Then carbs began overflowing. Took off carbs, cleaned thoroughly. Tried again, same issue. Is fuel selector faulty? Or is it still float sticking?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-04-2016, 08:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Could be either depending on where they're overflowing from. Disconnect the petcock and turn it to run and reserve - shouldn't flow fuel. If that's fine, check if floats are sealing by blowing on the (cleaned) fuel in line. If you can pass air easily, a float(s) are leaking - bad oring, debris clogging it open, height set wrong, float needle buggered etc. You can remove the carbs and hook them up to a temporary fuel source and see where the fuel leaks out to narrow down which carb(s) to focus on.

Btw, welcome aboard!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Simplified...

The carbs are the only thing that prevent them from flooding. So if they are flooding, it's the carbs.

Petcock is a secondary issue if one at all, and easily tested. Fixing the petcock would have 0 effect on resolving your carb flooding issue.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
      X