X

safety

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daddijuggalo View Post
    ok I am the safety guy at my work I work at goulds pumps In the foundry.once a week I hold a safety talk with all my guys.we disscuss safety at work and at home.i plan on having a talk about motercycle safety.we have several riders there and I want to come up with some good points and tips and tricks for the people that ride and the cagers .I plan on going over proper riding gear and routine stuff like that but I wouild like to hear from you guys and get any suggestions that you might have I want to make it so theres a little something in there for everyone those that ride and those that don't. things like not following to closely to cars or bikes flashing your break light when coming to a stop so people see it better.please feel free to add anything that you have.i want to make sure my people are well educated and ride safely. thank you

Thanks for sharing such a nice information and i am really impressed.

Comment

My biggest piece of aedvice to all new riders is to treat EVERY driver, whether it's a car, truck, bus, etc etc, as if they are intentionally going to try killing you, and plan your escape/evasive actions ahead of time. Always be on the lookout for an escape route so you don't get caught with nowhere to go. Also always make sure you are in gear ready to launch quickly when stuck at red lights. I've had to run the red several times over the years to avoid being slid over by drivers that brake at the last second skidding up behind me.I'd much rather accept a ticket for running a red light, than deal with becoming someones new hood ornament.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

When I first started riding, I took safety very seriously. As I started getting faster by doing a couple track days, I started riding faster on the street. I kept wearing the gear, but I was riding much less safe, and was likely more apt to ride a little above my skill level on the street because of having tried the speed in a safer environment on the track.

Since then, I've done a LOT of race training and practice on smaller miniGP bikes. 150cc's or less. I've learned a whole lot about braking, trail braking, how far I can lean before scraping knees, pegs, elbows. I've learned how to deal with the bike sliding on the brakes, how to deal with the bike sliding on the throttle.

I've said all this to illustrate that motorcycles are very similar to safely using work tools or machinery. The more you know about the basic use, the safer you'll be. You don't have to practice speed on race tracks. In fact, that might inspire less safe riding on the street. But practicing braking drills in a parking lot will make you much more able to use maximum braking force in an emergency situation. If you've never tried the drills, I can guarantee the bike will brake much harder than you think it can. Practicing doing medium speed turns in a figure 8 can give you enough time leaned over to get comfortable with it. Once you get comfortable with it, you can start noticing more about the effects of body position. The more comfortable you are with leaning the bike and being able to make sudden turns, the more options you have in an emergency situation. I wouldn't suggest getting to crazy with that unless wearing full leathers.

I'm really lucky to have had the chance to do so much training, and on smaller size bikes. They are less intimidating, but the skills translate directly to the bigger bikes. I've even gone down a bunch of times on the smaller bikes at this point, and I know that it's not as big of a deal as you might think, given proper gear.

Above all, acknowledging the risks and making a decision to gain more education and skill is the best thing you can do.

You should maybe include things to do, or not do, in the event that a bike stops working, or a rider does go down. Do NOT stay stopped in the road. Drivers are inattentive. Being in the road is asking to get hit. If someone is down and you have enough people, stop traffic far enough away to be safe. In some instances, it might be safer to block the lane of traffic than to be squished against a cement barrier with cars blasting past you, because the car behind that one won't see you.

One last tip that saved me once. I left home to head to work. It was perfectly clear at my house, but I hit really dense fog. It weirded me out, so I made a point to get directly in front of a car, and maintain a close enough distance that their headlights never got out of sight. When they slowed down, I slowed down. That way, I knew the person behind me was aware I was there. Less than 3 miles down the road, I had to stop suddenly, being the first vehicle in that direction to come up on an accident blocking the road. The driver behind me didn't even come close to hitting me because he knew I was there, and could see my brake light.

Think safe, ride safe. Then join a miniGP league and go batshit crazy!

Comment

Safety is also about what to do if it all goes wrong.

Might want to review area inspection when first on scene for safety (don't make another victim), signs of shock, move/don't move decisions for an injured person, recognizing and dealing with immediate life threatening injuries (Femoral artery and the like), etc...

All moto and shop related!

Comment

Adding LED strips to the front of your forks helps others see you in various
            lighting conditions & I think they are a great addition for safety ect...
            New vehicles have them and i'm starting to see a few bikes with them on to.
            Got mine at Canadian tire for $10 or $15 dollars and they are peel & stick so easy to install and because their LED they are brighter and hardly use any voltage.

Comment

Meh, I'll pass. Brights work well for others to see you.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
              X