No announcement yet.
X

Got my HIDs installed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started reading this thread thinking it started just a couple days ago, but it's actually a year old.

If anyone is going to be doing this, I suggest getting relays from this guy:

They are what I am going to be using in my setup.
    Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
      Do you have a link to the exact kit you ordered?
      Sorry I dont remember who i got it from. I just got a slim ballist kit off ebay. the company was in hong kong. I think I paid $50 plus shipping.
      Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
      sigpic

Comment

i put hids in my 04 kat, they havent worked right since. the left buld will come on on start up for a few seconds and then go off the right bulb stays on, so i turn the his on for a few mins and the left bulb comes on and stays on. Lately the left turn signal indicater comes on at start up and no headlights at all. what could b the problem? Didnt use a relay for the hids, jus went off the stock plug. All the fuses r good.

Comment

Originally posted by yukonman69 View Post
          i put hids in my 04 kat, they havent worked right since. the left buld will come on on start up for a few seconds and then go off the right bulb stays on, so i turn the his on for a few mins and the left bulb comes on and stays on. Lately the left turn signal indicater comes on at start up and no headlights at all. what could b the problem? Didnt use a relay for the hids, jus went off the stock plug. All the fuses r good.

um I would say you need to trace your electrical harness as you have a short or somethign else wrong somewhere. Though i am not sure why your fuses woudl not blow.

Your HIDS should not impact your turn signals at all unless they fried your stock harness which is not meant for the initial draw of the HIDs. That is why many recomend putting in a new relay harness OR installing a relay switch to keep the HIDs off while the bike is firing up.

Honestly sounds like by you refusing to shell out the $100 for a relay for this mod that you screwed up your main harness and will have to replace a few portions of it ro get everything firing up right again...
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

What wattage did you go with? I'm sure the electrical system can cope with dual 35w bulbs with nothing more than an upgraded ground, but if you're running both 55w bulbs then a relay would be a very very good idea. And it does sound like you have some existing issues with your wiring, I know that at least on a pre the turn signals are on a completely separate circuit than the headlights so therre isn't any possible way they could harm each other. If you do use a relay I highly recommend making your own as $100 for a relay kit is really really pricy. A relay costs $3 each, you need two, the h4 plugcosts only a few bucks each and wire might cost $5 if you don't have any laying around.
            The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
              What wattage did you go with? I'm sure the electrical system can cope with dual 35w bulbs with nothing more than an upgraded ground, but if you're running both 55w bulbs then a relay would be a very very good idea. And it does sound like you have some existing issues with your wiring, I know that at least on a pre the turn signals are on a completely separate circuit than the headlights so therre isn't any possible way they could harm each other. If you do use a relay I highly recommend making your own as $100 for a relay kit is really really pricy. A relay costs $3 each, you need two, the h4 plugcosts only a few bucks each and wire might cost $5 if you don't have any laying around.
              While the ballast might only be 35w when it is firing up it is easily 4 times that. The stock harness on the Kats is known to be weak and needs to be upgraded. A 55w and you BETTER have a relay or else you will be frying some lines....

100 was number from my ***. I think I paid $40 if that from SUVLIGHTS.com. Though that was a few years ago. I just know the entire ordeal with HIDs and relay harness was like 150 or so... Depending on where you order your HIDs from they will throw in relay harness for next to nothing as well.

Comment

This is good info. When I got my Kat it came with the HID lights installed. One went out last fall & I am having a tough time replacing it. I cannot find one anywhere. It is a 55W 12000K HID Xenon bulb assembly. It says H4 Hi/Lo. It has a barcode with OPL0808 on it. I have searched every HID motorcycle light website on the planet. Not sure what to do next, other than buy a whole new assembly for both sides. Any ideas out there???

Comment

Fast - If it is a HID then just get a single HID H4 bulb from anothe retailer. The connections are universal. I have no idea why you would want 12K bulbs though as you are shooting yourself in the foot by not using usable light. Most HIDs stay around 5-6K so as to have daylight like light. 12K is not really useable and is more decoration then anything else. See graphic below: I would say for you to instead switch to 6K bulbs.....

Comment

Thanks Soulpatch. The guy that put them in before I got it made a really big deal out of having them. They seemed bright to me, but I was bumming as I could not find one to replace the bad one. I will order a 6000 tonight.

Actually two 6000's tonight....might look a bit odd with two different types.
                    Last edited by fastflats; 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just so you know I have had really good luck with DDM Tuning latel with my recent purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by fastflats View Post
                        Thanks Soulpatch. The guy that put them in before I got it made a really big deal out of having them. They seemed bright to me, but I was bumming as I could not find one to replace the bad one. I will order a 6000 tonight.

Actually two 6000's tonight....might look a bit odd with two different types.
                        Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                        Just so you know I have had really good luck with DDM Tuning latel with my recent purchases.
                        I went with them also for my kit. I would recommend the 5000k bulbs for the best output, yet you still have that "blue tint" to the light.

Comment

5000K really should not have any blue tint to them at all. They should be super white. In a Kat without projector housing I would stay away from 5000K as they are almost too bright and will blind people both day and night. (dont ask how I know....)

I now run 6K in everything to keep it toned down a bit. Though with my 675 I do have a 55w ballast on my single lo beam now since I needed more output...

Comment

I have 8Ks because the blue tint really stands out from the rest of the traffic, and it goes with the color of my bike. The '14 comes with projectors, so there is no problem blinding anyone. Unless I hit them with the 5K high-beams that are in separate housings on the '14. If they don't notice me then, they're asleep.
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I'd call my 5000k a cool white so that is where it makes me think of a tint of blue. I don't have to worry, mine is in a projector.

Comment

Originally posted by sporty_drew View Post
                                I'd call my 5000k a cool white so that is where it makes me think of a tint of blue. I don't have to worry, mine is in a projector.

Werd. I have projectors now on my 675 and it makes quite a difference. No dazzle effect and a lot less ****ed off drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X