Satellite controlled speed limits?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite controlled speed limits?

Story: http://news.com.com/2100-11389_3-6076096.html

Synopsis: Transport For London (an agency) is launching a test bed of vehicles that will automatically slow down to whatever the speed limit is for a specific zone or street, the idea being that even just a few of these vehicles (such as city buses) will make it impossible for others to speed.

CyberPoet's comment:
    The falacy that speed limits save lives has been proven many times; experienced drivers are more capable (as a whole) of dictating what the safe speed is for the actual real-world conditions than arbitrary speed limits can grasp, and that artificially low speed limits actually increase traffic fatalities (I can provide data sources) because of increased driver distraction and boredom.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

I have been engaged few times in discussions about speed limit. I have never believed in driving speed limit on public roads, except in residential areas. My stand is to make it harder to obtain a driving license by passing certain safty and educational criteria, and put no speed limit. Speed limit should be determind by weather and road condition, and the driver ability and skills.

Comment

Re: Satellite controlled speed limits?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      experienced drivers are more capable (as a whole) of dictating what the safe speed is for the actual real-world conditions than arbitrary speed limits can grasp
      Yes that is true. Unfortunately the problem with speeding stems from people considering themselves far more "experienced" than they really are (cage-squids if you will). When ego and hormones take over your driving or riding, it's going to be game-over eventually.

What if (yes the prodigal what-if statement) drivers were to be issued different licenses based on their driving skills - as determined by different tests at the dmv. Speed limits would be determined by the class of the license and driver skill.
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

[quote="hellcamp"]
        Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        What if (yes the prodigal what-if statement) drivers were to be issued different licenses based on their driving skills - as determined by different tests at the dmv. Speed limits would be determined by the class of the license and driver skill.
        I agree with the "what if" statement
        You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
          Originally posted by Rob
          I agree with the "what if" statement

I'm in support for that, as well as tiered licensing for motorcycles. Both are good concepts in my mind. I dislike technology-enforced speed limits (as verses to traffic-cop enforced) because their is no judgement call involved... traffic cops may rarely side with me, but at least I don't expect one to write me a ticket for 1 mph over, and he will probably clear traffic if I need to get to a hospital in a rush. Plus, he has the ability to spot "bad" or erratic & drunk drivers, something no technology can currently do (the closest thing is safe-following-distance cameras).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How do you enforce something like this, though? There is no way to show who has what license. You could put a sticker on the car with what type of license the main driver has, but what if I borrowed that car and my speed limit is higher? Then I get pulled over and get a "Sorry, you're ok" from the officer? The only viable option still requires technology. A swipe card into an onboard system that broadcasts on a special police brand what each driver is using. I think that would be more cost prohibitive than satellite control, not that I agree with that either.

If you can give me a viable option for tracking tiered licenses, than I would be all for it. In the meantime, what we have has to work.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
              If you can give me a viable option for tracking tiered licenses, than I would be all for it. In the meantime, what we have has to work.
              How do they deal with tiered motorcycle licenses in other countries (and in some parts of the US in days gone by)? Same basic way -- make the penalty for violation stiff enough to discourage people from readily violating it, and set up the secondary systems (buying cars, etc) the same way.

Mostly, I think this country needs smarter speed limits and far, far better driver training.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                If you can give me a viable option for tracking tiered licenses, than I would be all for it.
                How about a tag that you can put on the inside of the rear windshield which can be seen easily ? You want to drive another car, take the tag with you. Those that drive enough (weekly rentals for example) and want to speed will probably make sure the tag goes with them. And if they're truly responsible, they will also ensure that friends and family that aren't as experienced do not borrow the tag for joyrides.

Speed limits are set for a majority of people. I'm not suggesting eliminating speed limits altogether. My suggestion is to impose some speed limit for all streets and highways. Responsible and Experienced drivers should be able to take an additional test and get a tiered license that allows them a speed privilege of say 35 mph over the norm. I would be VERY interested in seeing if a system like this would work.
                Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Why not a chip in your drivers license? You must insert the license into a machine in order to start a vehicle. Then the computer in the car can regulate the speed based on the chip in your license. Sure, it can be hacked, but what can't these days?

Comment

Originally posted by StblJmpr
                    Why not a chip in your drivers license? You must insert the license into a machine in order to start a vehicle. Then the computer in the car can regulate the speed based on the chip in your license. Sure, it can be hacked, but what can't these days?
                    That's kind of what I was thinking. Think "The Fifth Element".

How about a tag that you can put on the inside of the rear windshield which can be seen easily ? You want to drive another car, take the tag with you. Those that drive enough (weekly rentals for example) and want to speed will probably make sure the tag goes with them. And if they're truly responsible, they will also ensure that friends and family that aren't as experienced do not borrow the tag for joyrides.
                    Until you leave a window open while running to the store right quick and someone steals it. Most solutions are not going to be foolproof. And I believe the only way to get close is technology, like StblJmpr suggested.
                    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                    -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by StblJmpr
                      Yeah that is a good idea. Except that instead of using the chip to control the speed limit (which would require expensive modifications to existing cars), the cop could carry a chip-detecting radar to make sure the person is driving within his assigned speed limit, and is obeying the law. That might work.

And hey, yeah the tag could be stolen, but so could your wallet with your license. Driving with someone else's tag is still illegal, right.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

I’m a firm believer in the theory that speeding is a relative action. granted some people are just habitual speeders. Others on the other hand only do it when faced with a particular set of circumstances and many times it’s something they just need to get out of there system. For instance in Germany the autobahn provides an outlet for just this urge. (if you will) I believe it is asinine for there to be speed limits on roads that could easily be renamed as barren wastelands (because the lack of any type of inhabitants or life sustaining environment) in Europe they are actually doing what a few of you suggested and that is making it much more expensive to have a drivers license and the penalties are actually more lax in some cases but yet they do the job. When its all said and done people will be people and testing their limits and living/driving dangerously (whether risking others lives or not) is inevitable to try and control something so basic is a fruitless quest.

I think the law that upsets me the most is the seatbelt law… this boils down to the most basic of human rights! Why if someone so chooses should they be punished for not wearing there seat belts. The only time you might hurt someone other than your self with this action is if your lifeless body rockets from a car striking a pedestrian… (for children on the other had it should be illegal) .
                        If your paddleing up steam and a wheel falls of.....
                        How many pancakes fit in a dog house??......

None stupid!...... Ice cream doesn’t have bones!

Comment

I know so many young drivers that only wear a seatbelt because they got tickets for not wearing them, and then they get in accidents and it probably saved their lives. Its an anti-stupid law.

How many people on this forum would ride without a helmet if it wasnt a law and might be dead right now?

I'm a habitual speeder and I also wish there was some way to increase or erase speed limits in certain locations but there are so many HORRIBLE drives I'm starting to realize its just not possible. I forget what state it was (I think Montana?) that for a while had no speed limits on highways inbetween towns where you're in miles of desert for long stretches. The law said you could go any "safe speed" without "creating a hazard for yoursle fo others" and cops would enforce that. You'd get a Ferarri blasting through at 110, meanwhile some punk in a Yugo with a wheel shimmy would drive by at 100mph, and get pulled over and ticketed. Enough of these assclowns sued the state because some people were ticketed based on themselved or what they were driving while faster cars were let go, so they put speed limits back up and now everyone has to drive the limit.

If there were no speed limits, I'd have fun for about a week driving very fast. Then after about a week I'd have so many close calls with young kids without the skill sets to do those kinds of speeds almost killing me, soccer moms on cell phones late to a bake sale, and old guys in very fast cars who used to drive fast but dont have the reactions they used to and dont know it.

Now I'm only talking about cars. When I think about riding my bike I'd probably never touch another highway again if there were no speed limits.

We need some serious driver education in this country. We need some seriously harsh punishments for ACCIDENTS and DANGEROUS driving, and stop writing tickets for people going 10over at 3am on an empty highway. I see assclowns cutting off batches of cars weaving in and out in rush hour when there are no cops around because its too hard/inconvenient for them to write tickets in "traffic" yet at 3am on an empty road I'm struggling to keep close to the limit because the cops are hiding in the dark with radar because thats when its easiest for them to make their quotas. Sad.

Comment

How about kids 15-20 be limited only?

Comment

On a semi-related note, I was headed back from a client site today, popped by the local dealer to see if he had any ZX-14R's in stock, and then went on my merry way towards home. A third of the way between the dealer and home, a light under an interstate overpass & exit went yellow, and so I slowed down, knowing there was zero chance of making it before it turned red and not wanting to push it. Jackarse behind me slaloms around me in his red japanese whatever, accelerating hard and almost wiping me off the road in the process, then hits the intersection a good 3 - 4 seconds after the change at 150% of the speed limit (with a ton of traffic on the sides waiting to cross his path). Bit of grumbling under my breath... I'm not irked about the speed, but the running of the red light and the dangerous manner in which he went around me.

Story twist: what neither of us noticed was the state trooper sitting parked against the support pylon for the overpass... but the cop sure noticed the guy's actions and jumped on him in a heart-beat. Couple minutes later I'm passing them pulled over a half mile down the road. Sympathy for him? None at all. And unfortunately, all the automated enforcement in the world wouldn't have changed his behavior -- he would have swerved about me simply to be in the other lane, still almost creaming me, if there had been a red light camera and he had known about it.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X