X

The Choke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Choke

I recently purchased my 06 Katana 600 and fairly new to riding bikes so forgive me if this question is silly. If I park my bike for at least 3 hours I have to open my choke to start it up. Is this normal? I live in Alabama and the average temperature here is around 83 degrees during the day and 77 at night. I know you use the choke to start the bike if the engine is cold due to the climate temperatures. Why do I have to do this everytime in this Alabama weather?
    "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

could be you have bad spark plugs(from over using the choke). i live in AZ and used to always have to use the choke full open to get my bike to start/stay running. i changed out my plugs now it starts fine with no choke.
    03 katanika

Comment

I only need choke if it is parked 3 + hours..
      So I'm leaning the same direction as iwanna

Comment

Thanks for the guidance. I take it in thursday for its first service checkup. I'll have the mechanic look into the sparks plugs issue.
        "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

Letting your bike sit at an idle for extended periods of time, for example when you get it started and let it warm up... continued prolonged idle like that cant foul your spark plugs, which could be a cause as iwanna and peter mentioned. You have a 2006 Kat though so depending on how long you've had it that may not be the only issue.

Once your mechanic checks it out, keep that mind for the future.

Comment

Given those temps, you shouldn't need any choke to start it up -- just 1/8th to 1/4 twist of the throttle when you thumb the starter. See your owner's manual for the "Warm start" process.

Other issues:
            The spark plugs, as already mentioned.
            Dried up fuel residues in the smaller passages of the carbs making the bike particularly lean. Using a 1/3rd of a bottle of techron with your next fill-up will wash them away (get to the gas station, pour the techron in, then fill up so the gas mixes with it well).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If the engine's at all warmer to the touch than the ambient temp , no choke .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                If the engine's at all warmer to the touch than the ambient temp , no choke .
                and when you cant stay true to that theory, you know its time to check your carbs and spark plugs.

Comment

Will leaving the choke on inadvertently when riding cause this issue as well (e.g spark plug fouling)?
                  "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Working...
                  X