Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Would you ever buy a salvaged titled bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can find some really good deals on salvage bikes. i wouldn't mind buying one for a track or stunt bike.
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Biggest thing for me would be the frame and forks...mostly the frame. I'd have to feel comfortable knowing that it hasn't been damage.

Comment

Of course, depends on the extent and all of damage. Could be a great way to get a street fighter... 8)
        My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
          Very true. Before Lisa got into Property she did Auto claims and adjustments for I think 10 years. The stuff that she saw that was settled as salvage was amazing. She had companies that could take a damaged vehicle that was salvaged for body and some support damage and once the work was done, the cars were fine. As good as new... of course not ... but more than safe and rode worthy. Passed inspections with no problems. And with the depreciation factor, a salvaged M/B or Lexus at half the price is a pretty good deal. Bikes are no different. In the hands of a capable mech, a salvaged bike is a great deal.
          So you know what I mean. It is amazing what is scrapped. You have to look at it this way...which I forgot to mention. $8 bike is accidented...$3500 in damage. Minus the $1000 deductible which is common...or say $500, and then they will find other ways to shave a bit off. It is rare you get 100% of book value. So they give you $7k and the bike becomes theirs. Then they turn around and sell it for $4k. The end result is $3k out of their pocket instead of the original $3500. Plus it eliminates any possibilities of the client not being happy with the repairs and having to make up for it. It is just better business sense for them to scrap it. Same with a $20k car. $5-6 damage. Scrap it...give the client $17-18k. Sell the car for 12 or so.....case closed.....no more hearing about that car....and no future lawsuits if something was missed and the vehicle ends up hurting or killing someone because of shawdy repairs.
          What you would save by buying salvaged depends on how you have it fixed. In general here, if a car is worth $20 with $5k damage (estimated by a bodyshop), you can plan on paying about $10-12k for it salvaged. Once repaired professionally, you should have your vehicle for approx. 25% cheaper. If you can do the work yourself, you can save up to 40-50% on a salvaged vehicle.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

there's a good checklist floating around here somewhere, that is good to go by when looking at used and/or salvaged bikes.. have to see if I can find it.

Comment

I've never bought a bike without a salvage title, I also spend the cold months here in the midwest building bikes. I've never had a problem. Just make sure the frame is straight, otherwise, get a new frame with a clear or rebuilt title.

Comment

I would as long as I was able to do a majority of the work myself.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

I would absolutely buy a salvage. The main concern I would have would be motor and frame, but if those are certified as good, anything else can be picked up cheap. I am in the hunt for a salvaged SV or TLs through a local broker.

Comment

mine was a salvaged bike....best bike I've ever owned
                    Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

I would, and am looking NOW. For a salvage Bandit 1200. Anyone got one, seen one, know where one is....HELP!
                      "Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

I would but only as a track bike. Unless, the frame was bent.
                        Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Working...
                        X