Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Would you ever buy a salvaged titled bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you ever buy a salvaged titled bike?

Well would you?

I know when I was looking to buy a kat I found a 03 with a salvaged title and was told it was "salvaged" because of a scrape on the fairing.. yeah right. Needless to say I passed on it and ended up buying new.
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Depends on the price..
    I've never looked into what you need to do to restore a title. I know here in Texas there is a firm that could search the history and let me know if it is stolen etc.. I saw an R6 for 3500 once as a salvage titled recovered thieft.. If I knew the ins and outs that would have been a steal..

Comment

I say yes. A frame can be put on a machine to check it for trueness. If you don't want to mess with that, and the bike is pretty complete at a steal of a price..... you could always part it out and get your money back out of it or even make a profit. I know a few guys that have bought salvage titled bikes as track bikes.

To each their own though. You thinking of buying one, or just posting up random questions???

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Depends on what I wanted... as a ride in and of itself, never. As a parts source for another bike, sure. A lot of that has to do also with trust that the damages are all squared away and the recertification process in Florida for a Florida salvage MC title (forget it, tain't happenin' under that VIN).

cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'd definately have a couple more opinions of other riders/mechanics b/4 I'd actually consider a salvage bike. They dont always look as bad as they are to the naked or untrained ear/eye. So yeah, I'd do it, after REALLY checking it out thoroughly.

Comment

only if that will be a spare toy..... or loaner.....
            and its gotta be "cheap"

Comment

i woulddef buy one and ride it every day, just take it apart make sure evrything is fine and straight and get ready to go

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
                I say yes. A frame can be put on a machine to check it for trueness. If you don't want to mess with that, and the bike is pretty complete at a steal of a price..... you could always part it out and get your money back out of it or even make a profit. I know a few guys that have bought salvage titled bikes as track bikes.

To each their own though. You thinking of buying one, or just posting up random questions???
                Just some thoughts... i had the oppurtunity to buy one before my new Kat and turned it down because it seemed shady over the phone.
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Yep, sure would. I have actually on many occations bought bikes this way. I spend alot of time staying out of trouble in the winters by rebuilding bikes. Once you have the bike back together (in most states) you get the bike re-inspected and then get a rebulit title for the bike.

I reccomend that because, when you go to get insurance on a salvage title, you either pay way more or are limited as to coverage you can get. You might also note that,with a salvaged title you cannot purchase full coverage for the bike until you have the re-built title.

Comment

yes if it was a gsxr750
                    Hello World.

Comment

sure would...they make great track bikes!!
                      Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

I would buy one in a heartbeat. You have to consider this. First, most bikes are under $10k new. Once they leave the showroom, you can knock of 15-20% right away. Halfway through the riding season it is only worth about $7k. The USA is particularly quick to scrap vehicles. It does not take much to have $3000 damage. With a Busa, all you need to do is trash the fairings on one side and the tail section. This is where most insurance companies with scrap the bike...at half the value in damages..or close to it. They tend to do this because there is always a risk that if several claims are made on a given vehicle over the years, they end up paying way more than it's value. So they just scrap it.
                        Here in Quebec we have so many salvaged vehicles that it would amaze you. In fact, we are the number one buyer of salvaged vehicles in the world. I know several people in this business. I kid you not, I have seen some vehicles that needed nothing more than a bumper, grill, hood, a little straightening around the radiator support...and maybe airbags. My uncle has 4 cars. One for him, his wife, and his 2 kids....all salvaged. He drives an Infinity Q45, his wife a BMW M3, his son a Ford ranger and the daughter has a Honda 4x4. All these vehicles are salvaged titles that he fixed himself. He is a school bus driver and does this on the side. Once I get established in my house and get my workshop built, I plan on getting into salvaged bikes. He picked up a salvaged Honda 919 last summer that was basically just cosmetic damages. He didn't even touch it...just sold it right away when he got it for a $1500 profit.
                        I would not hesitate in the least to pick up a salvaged vehicle. Once the frame is verified good, any parts can be had on ebay for a steal.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yes, I would. But it would depend on the bike and inspection. I have friends who have taken a low speed dumps with just tank rash and a scratch on the frame and have their bikes totaled out by insurance. $500 in parts off eBay and its good as new. Now that isn't the case with every bike but if you do your due dilligence a good bike can be had for very cheap.
                          sigpic

Comment

Especially if it is a sweet deal for the damage!!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              I would buy one in a heartbeat. You have to consider this. First, most bikes are under $10k new. Once they leave the showroom, you can knock of 15-20% right away. Halfway through the riding season it is only worth about $7k. The USA is particularly quick to scrap vehicles. It does not take much to have $3000 damage. With a Busa, all you need to do is trash the fairings on one side and the tail section. This is where most insurance companies with scrap the bike...at half the value in damages..or close to it. They tend to do this because there is always a risk that if several claims are made on a given vehicle over the years, they end up paying way more than it's value. So they just scrap it.
                              Here in Quebec we have so many salvaged vehicles that it would amaze you. In fact, we are the number one buyer of salvaged vehicles in the world. I know several people in this business. I kid you not, I have seen some vehicles that needed nothing more than a bumper, grill, hood, a little straightening around the radiator support...and maybe airbags. My uncle has 4 cars. One for him, his wife, and his 2 kids....all salvaged. He drives an Infinity Q45, his wife a BMW M3, his son a Ford ranger and the daughter has a Honda 4x4. All these vehicles are salvaged titles that he fixed himself. He is a school bus driver and does this on the side. Once I get established in my house and get my workshop built, I plan on getting into salvaged bikes. He picked up a salvaged Honda 919 last summer that was basically just cosmetic damages. He didn't even touch it...just sold it right away when he got it for a $1500 profit.
                              I would not hesitate in the least to pick up a salvaged vehicle. Once the frame is verified good, any parts can be had on ebay for a steal.
                              Very true. Before Lisa got into Property she did Auto claims and adjustments for I think 10 years. The stuff that she saw that was settled as salvage was amazing. She had companies that could take a damaged vehicle that was salvaged for body and some support damage and once the work was done, the cars were fine. As good as new... of course not ... but more than safe and rode worthy. Passed inspections with no problems. And with the depreciation factor, a salvaged M/B or Lexus at half the price is a pretty good deal. Bikes are no different. In the hands of a capable mech, a salvaged bike is a great deal.

What you have to watch out for are the shady folks. But anyone buying a bike or car should have the smarts to fully check out any vehicle before signing on the line and forking over a wad of cash. That's even with new bikes. At least have someone you trust check it out first.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X