X

Need Help - New Rider Question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - New Rider Question...

I am a new rider and am riding my 2001 Katana 600 and am having troubles or am I? I took a beginner motorcycle class 2 summers ago and learned good techniques which I use on a daily basis. I am also a conservative rider riding the speed limits just enjoying the ride.

Question:
    Latley about three times now under breaking and at slow speeds I have felt my rear tire shift left 4-6 inches or what I think was about that?

Once it happened on a right hand turn (almost 90 degree turn) slowing down using front and rear breaks to slow I shifted into 2nd while starting the turn and the wheel slipped. (My fault should have been in gear before I started the turn)

Second time very similar to the first time but was I all ready in second when it happend or just let of the clutch after shifting to second.

Today it happened under almost straight breaking to a stop sign but the road was bending right when it happened.

What am I doing wrong or do I have a setup problem on the bike? Only issue I am aware of on the bike is the clutch cable needs replacing and only has a small area of either engaged or not. No other issue bike runs nice tire is in good condtion but is a little squared up from not wearing rubber across the full width of tire due to my inexperience but is this causing the sudden bike shift. It might not shift as much as I stated but the first time it scared me. Now I am use to it but want to learn if it is something I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like you letting the clutch out and its chattering or stoppign the rear wheel for a second and it stepping out i do this at the race track sometimes when i down shift with too much speed into too low of a gear. your just sounds like bad timing with the squared off tire at the same time it might be up on the edge of the squared section when you letting go of the clutch as far as the straight braking and doing it sounds like you hitting the rear brake a lil hard

Comment

Well, there are several things that could have happened...

You could have engaged your back brake hard enough to lock the rear. This is particularly true if the rear wheel isn't aligned correctly, the rear brake caliper needs a rebuild (caliper pistons not retracting properly), or the pads are worn past their limits.

You could also have accidentally used the front brake hard enough to permit the rear end to lift up minisculely (not enough for you to notice, but enough to unload the weight from the tire) and then set it down at an angle, especially with the brake already engaged. Particularly if your rear tire is worn past it's wear limits or is low on pressure.

Or you could have simply encountered something on the road-bed (oil, sand, transmission fluid, spilled diesel fuel) that eliminated the rear wheel's traction.

Finally, if you have not changed your brake fluid in the past few years, there could be enough water accumulated in the bottom that when you engage the rear brake, some of that water gets heated to steam, and thus even when you release the control, the brake does not release (but instead gets even tighter than you intended).

Personally, I know my brakes (mechanically) and know when it's my doing, a mechanical fault, or a road-surface issue, but it would appear that you haven't reached that level of proficiency yet. Given that, I'd say dig into the possible mechanical reasons first, to rule them out and to make sure there is nothing defective that may cause you a far nastier event in the near future.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That used to happen on my buell. I think it was just because I learned on that bike, and I downshifted with out rev-matching sometimes. oops
        You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

Well looks like you guys were right on the money. With a little concentrated effort today I tried the things you mentioned and it looks like I am getting the bike off balance and the wheel is losing grip. Looks like I am actual not slowing the rear wheel down enough and to much on the front so with the weight shifting forward "bingo" a little tire slip. Now when I slow I am conectrating on using the rear brake more and less on the front and I am not having any slip issues now or at least not so far.

Thank you very much I am glad I asked.

Comment

Working...
          X