X

1 Down and 2 up, opinions??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Down and 2 up, opinions??

Looking at doing a 520 conversion with a RK chain and a 14 front and 47 rear (vortex). Opinions?

Be better to stick with the 15 front and jump the rear up to 50.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Sorry typo. I meant 49 in the rear

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
        Just out of curiosity because I'm not mechanically inclined. I get that if you install a bigger rear sprocket on there it gives you more "torque" but what is the stock on the rear and why jump to 50? How much top end would you actually lose on that?

Secondly, will just about any sprocket fit on the rear or is there certain specs for it to bolt up?
        Last edited by rogue_statue; 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Just go here: http://www.gearingcommander.com/ and load your bike. You can experiment with gearing and see the affects on speed, etc.
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by rogue_statue View Post
            Just out of curiosity because I'm not mechanically inclined. I get that if you install a bigger rear sprocket on there it gives you more "torque" but what is the stock on the rear and why jump to 50? How much top end would you actually lose on that?

Secondly, will just about any sprocket fit on the rear or is there certain specs for it to bolt up?
            The stock size of the rear sprocket depends on what bike you have. 15/50 is a common set of sprockets to put on these bikes.
            As to how much top end you lose, it will depend on what bike you have, as the post above said use the gearcommander site to figure that out.

No, just about any sprocket wont fit on the rear. The bolt pattern has to be the same.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Stay the **** away from vortex, you will gain nothing going to an Al rear sprocket.

I went 14/50 on my 600, it increased acceleration a bit, but was a nightmare in any riding that required sustained speeds over 60mph.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

How much top end would you actually lose on that?
                None! It will still do the legal limit - which is the "top end" after all?? It will just scream more and drink more juice.

It would be roughly equivalent to deleting the 6th gear and starting out in about 2/3rd gear.

Comment

Makes since. So there's really no advantages? Ive been debating this for a while... I wanted something the would be put closer to the powerband becausei was told that the powerband was closer to 7000... ill just, ride in a lower gear if that's the case.

Comment

ill just, ride in a lower gear if that's the case.
                    Either do that, or run a 14/50 with steel sprockets, same difference.

A mustang will never be a ferrari.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That's true. I love my kat but compared to some of the other bikes ive ridden itdefinafeky seems like I'm having to run 2nd gearing the mountain's to pull what they're pulling in 5th through there. Id like to find some way to pull some more Hp out of it though...

Comment

Id like to find some way to pull some more Hp out of it though...
                        Sell it and buy a gsxr, it would cost less than trying to pull that amount of power out of the touring bike you ride.

Comment

Scotty has a point there.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                            I agree.. the smaller you get in the front makes a smaller radius for the chain to wrap around and puts more pressure on the rollers... its easier to bump up in the rear.. 15/50 is a good/popular combo..

I wouldn't bother with the 520, your not gaining anything performance wise, stick with the 530, you'll be better in the long run.
                            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              Stay the **** away from vortex, you will gain nothing going to an Al rear sprocket.
                              Al as in aluminum? I know the steel sprockets are stronger and last longer but I mean if they can handle the power of bigger sport bikes what wrong with it on our weaker katanas?

Comment

Working...
                              X