X

Leather Resources: Cleaning, caring, and owning leather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Resources: Cleaning, caring, and owning leather

So, Dolphins got me a really nice A* 2 piece suit for christmas, and I've been putting off caring for it because I wanted to make sure that whatever I did to it, I did correctly. What follows is the synthesis of my internet research on cleaning and caring for leather. Most of the information came from product-based websites, so I've attempted to remove most of the sales and marketing mumbo-jumbo from the real content.

Leather Care
    Good leather care is equivalent to good skin care. Leather consists of thousands and thousands of intertwined fibers, with penetrable pores throughout—just like skin.

Proper maintenance starts with cleaning the fibers. Cleaning removes fiber-severing abrasives and pore clogging dirt and dust, both of which will breakdown the leather over time and give it a less than pleasing texture and appearance. Brushing the surface lightly with a moderatly stiff brush will open up the pores of the leather letting your treatments soak in. Agitate, don't scrub.

The next step, probably even more important, is conditioning. This nourishes and moisturizes to lubricate individual fibers, keeping them from becoming brittle and dry. It replaces essential, natural oils that evaporate. How can you tell a good conditioner? A good conditioner will offer UV protection. Like human skin, ultra-violet rays will quickly cause deterioration of the leather and shorten its lifespan significantly. A good conditioner will be absorbed into the leather, not sit atop the surface or leave residue behind. The surface should not be oily after application. The very best conditioners are pH balanced, have stain repellants, waterproofing agents to protect from accidents.

Leather Facts

* Leather is tear and puncture-resistant.
    * Leather protects from heat, cold and wind; and it repels moisture.
    * Leather apparel stretches and molds to your body, yet at the same time retains its shape.
    * Leather breathes -- that's what keeps it soft and supple.

Leather Protection
    * Use a high-quality water and stain repellent to help prevent water stains and soiling. Look for a formula that is free of silicone and wax. These ingredients break down the natural oils in leather.

Apply immediately after purchasing your new leather item, and every two or three months with regular use.

**Inexpensive leather cleaners and conditioners will contain petroleum distillates, silicon or silicon oils, and gloss agents that deliver an inferior, greasy finish that does nothing for the leather, and transfers to anything that the leather comes in contact with. These chemicals are harmful to your leather.

* Avoid using cleaning fluid, shoe cream, saddle soap and mink oil. These products contain ingredients that may damage leather.

**It’s a popular notion that saddle soap is a good cleaner and conditioner. It is neither. Saddle soap originates from the 1800s as a product used in the final stages of tanning hides. A currier used the emulsion of oil in soap (saddle soap) to work into the leather to soften and condition it. The reason it doesn’t make a good conditioner is because it’s alkaline, not pH balanced. There are better modern emulsions which penetrate, soften and condition with greater ease and stability.

Alkalinity can abrade both the hide itself and the stitching which binds it. With all the great leather care products available at market; there is simply no reason to opt for saddle soap.

* Test any protection and cleaning products on a hidden area of the leather.
    * Don't keep heavy objects, such as key chains, in your pockets. Doing so will stretch the leather.
    * Avoid applying hair sprays and perfumes while wearing leather.
    * Don't attach pins, adhesive badges or tape to leather.
    * Repair hems with a small amount of rubber cement.

Cleaning

* Gently blot liquid stains with a clean cloth.
    * Winter salt stains your leather, wipe with a clean, damp cloth and dry naturally.
    * Visit a professional leather cleaner for more serious stains. Normal dry cleaning methods will remove essential oils, causing the leather to crack, fade and shrink. A cleaner who specializes in leather care will use a different method to clean and condition the leather. Even this special process may cause slight variations in color, texture, and shape; so it is important to clean matching garments together.

Care When Wet

* If your leather becomes wet, allow it to dry at room temperature. (Never put leather in the dryer.) Then apply a Protectant. Buff suede with a soft towel to restore the nap.

Storage
    * Store your leather coat or jacket on a wide wooden, plastic or padded hanger to help maintain its shape.
    * Store leather in a well-ventilated, cool, dry place. Avoid hot areas, such as attics; or damp areas, such as cellars.
    * Cover your leather with breathable cloth, like cotton sheets, when storing. Plastic bags or coverings will cause excessive drying.
    * Wrinkles and creases in leather should hang out. If ironing is necessary, place heavy brown paper over the leather and use a cool to medium iron. Take care not to overheat the leather, which will cause it to shine.
    * Avoid exposing leather to direct sunlight or heat for prolonged periods of time.

Now, all that said, I settled on getting a set from eBay of Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I'm planning to try it out with one of my older jackets before I use any of it on the suit.

I'm still searching for a waterproofing agent. I'm thinking I may go with the product that Wilson's sells because they claim no bad stuff in it.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

great info.... any specific tips for cleaning white leather?

Comment

Thanks for the tips on leather care. Where can I find similar information for leather repair?
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Lexol is good stuff. We used to use in on leather interiors at the shop where I worked. I have also used Nikwak products on my boots and I have been very happy with them. They make the boots look like new.

Comment

Good advice. I just bought a new jacket (JR speedmaster $200 on ebay Woohoo) and I plan on treating this one right. My blaster jacket i didn't do anything with. just rode in the rain when it got dirty

Comment

Originally posted by Ghir
            great info.... any specific tips for cleaning white leather?
            Nothing specific, but if I find anything out I'll let you know. Before I do anything with the suit I'm going to "practice" on one of my older leather jackets.
            If you are referring to the white leather being particularly dirty, you may want to get the garment professionally cleaned.

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
            Thanks for the tips on leather care. Where can I find similar information for leather repair?
            I didn't see anything, but if I do run across it I will post it to this thread. They mentioned using rubber cement to fix hems...that maybe?

Originally posted by tzortn
            Lexol is good stuff. We used to use in on leather interiors at the shop where I worked. I have also used Nikwak products on my boots and I have been very happy with them. They make the boots look like new.
            Everything I saw lead me to believe that they have a good product. I think those auto-leather wipes are probably good for occasional quick use too.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I did some checking into leather repair, and ran across this article from a news station in Seattle.

Looks like those leather repair kits you see on TV can work with a little extra heat and some practice, but if it's a piece you really care about just pay to have it professionally done.

By Connie Thompson

SEATTLE - They've been advertised for years and clearly someone's buying them, but how well do those do-it-yourself leather and vinyl repair kits really work?

The ads make it look like you can repair torn leather and vinyl so that the tears are barely noticeable.

The product costs $35.50 including shipping and handling. So we decided to order one and have KOMO viewer Kari Cantey test it out.

The goal was to repair a rip in a red vinyl purse. The product's colored adhesive compounds are supposed to seal the damage.

The instruction say "Apply compound into and around the damaged spot, blending it in with the natural surface."

Then, take the provided heat transfer tool and hold it against a home iron for 3 to 4 minutes.

"When it is hot, immediately place metal tip on the grain paper atop the X, moving in a circular motion," the instructions continued.

Different grain papers are provided so you can match the grain of the item being repaired.

The heating tool bonds the compound to the vinyl or leather and helps it cure.

Kari did her best to follow the instructions, but it didn't work.

"I definitely think I could've done more heating," she said. "Maybe that would've helped."

So, to make sure we're giving it a fair shot, we went to a professional -- Mark Allen, the owner of European Leather Repair in Bothell.

First, Mark used the repair kit to mend a tear in an old leather seat cushion. He says if Kari would have glued a piece of cloth backing behind the purse tear she might have gotten better results.

And that little heat transfer tool in the kit -- it doesn't get hot enough.

Mark used the electric heating tool that came with the kit instead.

But it still didn't repair the leather tear, because the leather was too old. Mark says the grain papers are too stiff to get a good connection with old tough and cracked leather, so the color compound can't cure properly.

So we asked Mark to try using the repair kit on a vinyl briefcase, and here we had better luck.

"Well, the repair compound did pretty well," he said.

The color doesn't match, but there's no tear.

Mark's verdict: You may be able to fix some tears, but don't bet your hopes up too high.

"You would probably have to repeat the repair process 2 or 3 times before you finally had a feel for how all of this works, and by that time you'd run out of material," Allen said.

Mark says our kit would work best with small repairs that are not in a stress area -- like a seat cushion. Also, unless you're dealing with black, expect matching colors to be difficult, and no matter what you're repairing, don't expect it to look like new. Even experts have a tough time with that.

Mark says as a leather repair exert, he's seen a lot of attempts to make repairs with do-it-yourself kits -- usually after people bring him their damaged furniture to fix what they could not
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                Ok, I did some checking into leather repair, and ran across this article from a news station in Seattle.

Looks like those leather repair kits you see on TV can work with a little extra heat and some practice, but if it's a piece you really care about just pay to have it professionally done.
                This stuff is ok for an aesthetic repair. Keep in mind that you wear leather on a bike for protection. If you have a tear in your leathers they need to be properly repaired.

Comment

Hey folks, since the season is winding up for a lot of us, I thought I'd bump this thread to get it back up.

I just finished my jacket, and cleaned my pants tonight. Tomorrow I'll condition and protect the pants.

I snapped a few pics too, I'll try to see how they came out.

Standing in front of the jacket I could see the difference between the cleaned leather, and the conditioned leather.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Tips from Steves:

*When choosing a brush, choose one that is firm, but not too stiff. Gently brush your arm. If it gets irritated, hurts or turns red you have the wrong brush or too stiff a stroke. The key is to "agitate" the pores of the leather, not swap the deck.

*Make sure to get every crease, nook and cranny. Be extra sure of areas around stitching, or contact patches (the sleeve of a jacket, or seat bottom of a seat).

*After the cleaning phase, make sure all the leather cleaner is removed from the surface. Get a brand new damp cloth and wipe the entire surface again. Any soapy/haziness means that there is still cleaning product on the surface. This may interfere with the protectent or conditioners.

*I allow the leather to dry for at least 24 hours after cleaning. Go back and fix any areas that still look dirty or that require attention. In case of damage, get the article repaired before moving on.

*Some phases of the process may cause the applicator surface to pick up leather dye. This is totally normal, and nothing to be concerned about. If you are worried about the color fastness of the material, test an inconspicuous spot before doing the entire piece.

*Not only is cleaning good for the leather, it will keep you an informed owner. If you notice any problem areas address them as soon as possible(tearing, ripping, etc.)!

Below you'll see a shot of my working materials. Lexol leather cleaner, Lexol PH balanced leather conditioner, and the all purpose Vinylex protectant. The bottle on the right is Wilson's waterproofing. I didn't use the WIlson's on my leathers, but if you need a waterproofing agent that's about the best one I could find. Also you'll see two scrub brushes. I think I got these at Walmart or Target. The smaller one is for tight spaces, or stubborn bug bodies. The two foam applicator pads came with the Lexol kit that I bought, but any clean low lint cloth is fine for the cleaning and conditioning phases.

These next two shots are of the uncleaned leather. These were last cleaned and conditioned an January when they were brand new.

The left breast of the jacket has been cleaned and conditioned. Notice the leather is now slightly shiny on the left side. The right side of the jacket is untouched. It is acceptable to use a dry cloth to buff the surface, however the goal is to leave conditioner on the materials. Since the leather is no longer alive, it produces no oils of it's own. Leaving the product will keep the surface supple and prevent cracking. I used two coats of conditioner with little wiping for two reasons 1) this leather is subject to direct sun, and body contact 2) after cleaning they are put away until the spring time.

This picture shows me holding the cleaned, conditioned, and protected jacket sleeve next to the pants which were untouched. You can see the difference in the color on the surfaces!

Again, leather will tend to give up it's dye during the cleaning process, or any contact where the leather becomes wet. THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL!

Well cared for leather can last you many, many years. Improper care can cause a failure within months!
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Damn , I used to use saddle soap and mink oil on my leather jacket and hat a while back . And Sno seal on my boots recently . Sumbitch . Guess I'll go read tha label of the leather condition I just bought from the bike shop a lil closer ....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Waterproofing:

I use this on my gloves, but too labor-intensive for a suit:

Something here might work:
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I'd have to see the contents of the waterproofing solutions to tell... anything employing alchohol to dry to the soln is not an acceptable choice for leathers...
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Damn , I used to use saddle soap and mink oil on my leather jacket and hat a while back . And Sno seal on my boots recently . Sumbitch . Guess I'll go read tha label of the leather condition I just bought from the bike shop a lil closer ....
                            You'll probably be okay with the Sno seal stuff on your boots, but I would defiantly get some other products for the jacket and hat. I think I got that Lexol kit on eBay for like $25.

Doing comparisons of products isn't easy, because there aren't really any good leather resources that aren't linked with a product.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

So Steves, would you reccomend the Lexol stuff then?

Comment

Working...
                              X