X

battery disconnect to weld?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery disconnect to weld?

Quick question. If you need to weld on the frame, to protect the electrical system can you just disconnect the battery or is there anything else to do? Going to start fabricating a luggage rack but do not want to hurt the elec system.
    Thanks

Y E S !!! and even go as far as to remove the battery and disconnect the cdi unit just because.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Thanks. I'm not sure when I will get around to it but wanted to make sure. I made a rack that bolts on where the grab bar bolts on and also has a bolt that goes through the top of the grab bar but it is a bit bouncy without any other support out near the end.

Comment

I would also make sure that your welding ground strap is as close to the area that you are welding as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
          I would also make sure that your welding ground strap is as close to the area that you are welding as possible.
          That will be easy enough. I will be welding to the existing bars at the rear where you would hook a bungee net or other items so plenty of room to ground clamp right there.

Comment

Originally posted by tone
            Disconnect & REMOVE battery then put it away somewhere safe well away from the bike, also remove cdi & do the same

A flashed cdi could cost you some money an exploding battery could cost you your sight
            Thanks,
            I would rather keep my eyesight. I am putting enough money into this that I do not need to ruin electronics just to make a luggage rack. Come to think of it, this bike has gotten a bit expensive as it is.
            Sending a 750 shock out to be rebuilt with Gold Valve and new spring. After that I will be sitting at around $1100 put into it just in stuff to make it more comfortable. That doesn't count the new tires, tools to work on it or all the riding gear.
            I better not let the wife see this, MAN this stuff adds up fast. At least it seems that I like the bike more every time I ride it. I should take the wife out for a nice dinner soon.

Comment

Working...
            X