X

Vortex/RK combo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex/RK combo

The Gixxer needs a new rear sprocket. There's a Vortex on it now. What's the general lifespan of a Vortex sprocket? I'd rather have a steel sprocket or something like what I have on the Kat - Sidewinder Tri-Metal, aluminum hub with steel teeth. I have at least 10,000 miles on that and it's not even beginning to show signs of wear. Only problem there is price. Anyone know a place that has a reasonably priced steel rear sprocket? How about Sunstar? Any good?

Long Live the D

you have a Sidewinder (which IMO is the best) sprocket on your Katana and you don't want to spend that much on the Gixxer? Isn't that a tad backwards?

Comment

I know I know, but it was a good time when I bought them for the Kat. Now money's a little tighter. I know in the long run I'll be better off getting Sidewinders but it's still a good chuck of change. A lot of it has to do with how much the wife will let me spend.

Long Live the D

Comment

replace sprockets with your chain. yeah back might only seem bad, but these things wear together, best practice is to replace both sprockets and chain. personally i would go with the rk/vortex chain combo set. i had one on my kat. it actually isn't vortex sprockets it is suntech or something. it is a hardened steel front sprocket with chromoly rear sprocket with a xso rx chain. Great combo, not to badly priced, ronayers i think has the cheapest. 20k miles warranty aight to bad. i think you get them for around 150 or so.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Ok, one other question, what's the difference in the gold RK chain and the silver chain other than color?

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
            .....color?
            you got it color, blang factor.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I think he meant "bling"

Comment

Steel is cheaper than aluminum.
                You can find steel sprockets quite cheap (under $50) if you shop around -- even JC Whitney carries them.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X