X

Extended Swing arm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Swing arm

I always liked the look of the extended swingarm and am very interested in getting a bigger engine for my 02 katana 600. Ive looked around and haven't found any "extended" swingarms, the only thing i have heard of is the katana 750 which is only slightly longer. Does anyone know of an extended swingarm you can buy or take off another bike without crazy refabrication?

Originally posted by eby132409 View Post
    I always liked the look of the extended swingarm and am very interested in getting a bigger engine for my 02 katana 600. Ive looked around and haven't found any "extended" swingarms, the only thing i have heard of is the katana 750 which is only slightly longer. Does anyone know of an extended swingarm you can buy or take off another bike without crazy refabrication?
    The post 98 600 and 750 swingarms are the same length.

Teddy posted this up in another thread http://www.tcconlinestore.com/Produc...ode=240%2D2007 but you could get yours fabbed for cheaper.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Yeah those are over a grand....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

take your swing arm to a local fabrication shop, and have them extend it....its really not that hard to do being that the arm is steel, well the pre's are at least

Comment

yeah, the post is steel also.

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
            take your swing arm to a local fabrication shop, and have them extend it....its really not that hard to do being that the arm is steel, well the pre's are at least

+1 on this. if you aren't going for a super long stretch, I would get a second swingarm to cut up and splice in so you have the axle notches and alignment marks like from the factory (of course depending on whoever you have welding it not mis-measuring and making those marks useless)...weld it up good, brace it, chrome it, paint it, or powdercoat it

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I have a 98+ swingarm. It has a dent from the exhaust, it would be perfect to splice. PM me.

Comment

well im really trying to get an aftermarket one, pre fabbed. I know someone who does weld, but i dont really know how strong just a weld could be.

Comment

If done right, a welded joint is stronger than the base material itself. I wouldn't worry about that.
                  Some people carry on
                  Some just stay right where they are
                  Our worlds divide

Comment

if you cut the ends to be spliced at 45 degrees, leaving a diagonal weld, instead of just butting up two ends to eachother at 90 degrees, it would be damn strong. i'd do it and wouldn't think twice about it...

Comment

Yeah dont make the cuts vertical and it will be a lot stronger.
                      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Originally posted by Rothman View Post
                        If done right, a welded joint is stronger than the base material itself. I wouldn't worry about that.

Comment

if you would like, i can make you the swing arm, im a welder/ fabricator for arcron (an IEA company) . teddy made a good point with using another swing arm for the extension. note now both metals will be the same grade and size. cutting both arms at a 45* angle with a chamfer on the cuts to make sure both pieces with have good penatration when welding. also look out for porosity in the weld. any porosity with kill any strength the weld is given. also it might not hurt to add a lower re-enforcement on the arm, perhaps round stock, will make the arm look trick also

Comment

Yea that doesn't sound to bad, if I can ship two swingarms to you how much would it cost to get it fabbed?

Comment

I'm gonna see Rob on Feb. 10th. I could just give him the swing arm I have so you would need to worry about shipping two. Just buy the arm from me and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X