X

Howdy from Georgia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Georgia

Howdy, everybody. I just picked up a 96 Kat 600 this morning for cheap. It doesn't run - looks like some dingleberry screwed up all the wiring and plumbing and then let it sit for a while. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions on here once I get into the rebuild. Just waiting on a Haynes manual right now.

I've been riding for about two years and have about 45,000 street miles and several track weekends under my belt. My other bike is an '01 R1 Champs edition.

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

welcome

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

This is the place for info. Welcome to KR!
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

welcome! wow! Comming from a R1...What your plans for the kat? Touring it?
          Roops Photography|facebook|
          03 GSXR 1000
          04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
          Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Here she is:

And one of my R1:

And one from one of my first track days:

Comment

Originally posted by profroopchan
              welcome! wow! Comming from a R1...What your plans for the kat? Touring it?
              This might be blasphemy on a Kat forum, but I really just bought it because it was a fifty dollar motorcycle. I made the deal before I ever even saw the bike. Once I get it fixed up I'll ride it for a couple weeks and then decide whether to keep it as a tourer or sell it and get a dedicated race bike.

Comment

It's OK. Before I got a dedicated track bike, I taped up my kat and used it for one. You can just put that behotch in third gear and let her sing all afternoon. She wasn't as ninble as the other bikes on the course but it sure pizzes off some of the other riders when they get passed by a 'slow' katana.

For the record though, I did stay in the novice group that day.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
                  It's OK. Before I got a dedicated track bike, I taped up my kat and used it for one. You can just put that behotch in third gear and let her sing all afternoon. She wasn't as ninble as the other bikes on the course but it sure pizzes off some of the other riders when they get passed by a 'slow' katana.

For the record though, I did stay in the novice group that day.
                  There's a lot to be said for hitting the track on a slower bike. I've gotten to be a pretty respectable track dude on the R1, but when my bike went T/U at RRR and I borrowed a buddies R6, I shaved 1.2 secs off my best time in the next five laps. A smaller bike will teach you far more about corner speed, lines and traction management than a liter bike will.

You can rest assured that this Kat is going to see the track at least once before I'm done with her. I can't wait to dust off some liter-bikers with a 1996 steel-frame sporttourer

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!
                      2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                      2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

welcome to KR. plenty of info here for your rebuild. even if it's a for profit venture
                        carpe diem

Comment

Originally posted by dirt46

You can rest assured that this Kat is going to see the track at least once before I'm done with her. I can't wait to dust off some liter-bikers with a 1996 steel-frame sporttourer
                          ha, cant wait to hear your stories of these ventures
                          Roops Photography|facebook|
                          03 GSXR 1000
                          04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                          Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Well, at least the gauges look good lmao. Sound like a piece of cake. You'll bang that out in a weekend. Honestly though, I just got my Katana 750 and so far am pretty impressed in the amount of power she gives out. I'm completely fresh and have A LOT of mods to do. Welcome!!
                            2000 Katana 750
                            -VERITAS AEQUITAS-

Comment

I think next time the county appraiser comes by I'll park it in the front yard. That oughtta lower my taxes

BTW it has officially been dubbed The Yard Thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X