Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Need advice...forced to change rear tires size.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice...forced to change rear tires size.

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to the Katana scene. Just got my 2003 600cc.

I have been searching here and reading about tires and tire sizes. I know I should stay stock size but here is the problem.

I went to get my bike certified at a local shop in Brampton, ON. He told me that the rear tire would pass but barely and the front needed replacing. I decided to replace both and asked about the continentals and the Metzeler Z6's.

He told me that I don't need anything crazy like that and the M-1 would be perfect and there is a good price on them (10% off catalogue, if you call that good). Anyways we said he could have the tires for me in the morning and my bike ready to go by the afternoon. That was great, so I agreed.

However, I came home and checked some webistes and found out that the M-1 never came in a 150/70. I drove back there and told him and he said he knew, and he was going to get me the 150/60 instead. I told him that I wanted to stay stock, but he convinced me that there was not much difference and then he told me to go 160/60 instead and it would be fine and the price was the same.

Am I getting scammed or getting wrong advice? What size should I pick? All input/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    jokerz73

Re: Need advice...forced to change rear tires size.

Originally posted by jokerz73
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to the Katana scene. Just got my 2003 600cc.

Am I getting scammed or getting wrong advice? What size should I pick? All input/opinions are appreciated.
    No, not as far as I'm concerned. I feel the that 160/60 tire is perfect for the 98+ Kat. If you ever get into any serious curves, you'll be glad you did. Here's what the stock (left) looks like next to that 160/60...

Welcome to the board!

Comment

How bad is the dealer hitting you for tires if you don't mind me asking, and what dealer are you dealing with?
      Kyle

Comment

I think he's trying to clear his old inventory on you and pushing hard. Metzeler stopped making the M1's about 6 months ago and is replacing them with the M3's in their line-up instead. Even if he weren't, he should have recommended a 160/60ZR17 rear instead of a 150/60ZR17 rear -- the 160 would balance out the height loss and help keep the ground clearance up -- a 150/60 will lose about a 1/2 inch of ground clearance on the Kat over a stock tire size.

As for the tire itself:
        The M1 or M3 is overkill for a Katana unless you are the kind of rider who is railing knee-down a goodly percentage of the time and need absolute traction on the edge of the tires. The M-series will also only have about a third to half of the lifespan (in miles) of the Z6's. The M serious is built for the power output of pure sports-bikes (which is why it's not available in a 150/70) with their lighter-loaded broader contact patches, while the Z series is built for sports-tourers and other heavy, lower total output bikes like the Kat (and which is why it is available in a 150/70).

If I can do this on the Z6's with no problems -- after already putting 5k on them, do you really need the M's to be happy?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You guys are great!

At least now I can sleep peacefully, knowing that my bike will be on the road for tomorrow. That tire size difference was bothering me and I want everything to be perfect with my new baby.

As for the dealer/mechanic, he has nothing in stock and has to go and pick up the tires. I think that his price must have dropped due to it being discontinued and thus more $$$ for him.

On the plus side, I just met them today and they are a bunch of great guys (Victory Cycle). Met both owners and a mechanic and hung around in their garage bay and watched them work. There prices for labour are good and I like the fact that you can watch them work. Safety is $50.

AHF and cyber poet - thanks for the great explanaitions and pics. Greatly appreciated!!! I will see if it is not too late to get him to pick up the Z6's. But if not, at least I know my tires are still alright.

Thanks,
          jokerz73

Comment

I enjoyed the ride out of my 160/60 M1's. The only drawback I had with them is that I only got about 3500 miles out of the rear tire.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

dThat picture comparison above is a bit pointless IMHO.

I have pirelli diablo stratas in the stock size and they look like the pic on the left... not the pic on the right.

They also last about 3x+ longer than an M1, are bada$$ in the rain, and have more grip than I'll ever need.

In other words... I think you are getting ripped off.
              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Working...
              X