Squeeking noise from gear box

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeking noise from gear box

Hi!
    I'm considering buying a 84' Katana, 1100. I runs smooth and looks well kept. However when in 5th the gear box makes a squeeking sound. When easing on the throttle it disappears, and it also seems to disappear at higher speeds...
    Do I need to worry?

I hope for a good advice

Sounds like a bearing
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-17-2015, 01:16 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I disagree that it sounds like a bearing. It sounds like nothing, because we are strangers on the internet communicating through text. Diagnosing a "sound" is an extremely difficult task. That's when you're with the motorcycle. Saying what the problem could be based on a description isn't a good way to go about things.
      Last edited by arsenic; 08-17-2015, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I'll give you that that one.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Does it disapear at higher speeds due to wind noise or is it specifically only within a speed range within fifth gear? Does it still happen when the best is on a rear stand and running in fifth?

Put the bike on a rear stand a listen closely for the squeak as you go through the gears. I wouldn't necessarily blame your gearbox, but something within the wheels (likely rear but fronts are known to squeak on many bikes). It may also just be possible you need to put some lube on an axle.
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Isn't the alternator in that general area ? Inquire about the health of the alternator or test voltage some way. Xjunker could be right about a bearing or bushing. Maybe test ride at night to check the lights or take a multimeter next time.
            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Working...
            X