X

New Bike! 06 Katana Newbie Here Need Some Parts & Some I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike! 06 Katana Newbie Here Need Some Parts & Some I

I Got my 06 Katana About 2 months ago & I Love it! Its my first bike & I allready installed a Hyabusa Tail Light on her & Yoshi Exhaust.

I Wanted to buy that solo seat & the cover for the rear of the seat like on a GRSX

I Also Wanted chrome wheels & Mirrors

& I Need help with the 1st gear take off, This is my first bike & i'm new to this, i've allways had fast cars (Corvettes & Camaros) with over 500HP but its not the same as taking off in a 6 speed vette, I Tryed to dump it at like 3500 RPMS & She feels like shes bogging out,

So my question is what is the best way to get a hard take off?

And where can I Buy that solo seat with the rear cover? & Chrome Wheels?\

Thanks FOr the Help Guys!

Re: New Bike! 06 Katana Newbie Here Need Some Parts & So

Originally posted by larry_chip
    I Wanted to buy that solo seat & the cover for the rear of the seat like on a GRSX
    No solo-seat. The cowl for the bike covers the rear seat. Visit

I Also Wanted chrome wheels & Mirrors
    For wheels, find a traditional chrome-plater in your area.
    For the mirrors, find a vacuum-chrome-plater in your area.

I Need help with the 1st gear take off, This is my first bike & i'm new to this, i've allways had fast cars (Corvettes & Camaros) with over 500HP but its not the same as taking off in a 6 speed vette, I Tryed to dump it at like 3500 RPMS & She feels like shes bogging out, so my question is what is the best way to get a hard take off?
    Hard take off:
    Release clutch, then twist throttle wide open. Let the engine do the work instead of wasting effort on slipping the clutch, at least on the street.
    Release the throttle & yank in the clutch at 5k, shift into 2nd, release the clutch and goose it. About 2 seconds later, do it again into 3rd. Now wind it out to 9800 RPM -- you'll have left virtually anything on four wheels behind.
    NOTE: a lot of new riders like yourself who try to treat the Kat like a pure sports bike tend to ruin 2nd gear by skipping use of the clutch, failing to release the throttle during shifts (RPM's need to drop, engine needs to unload from the tranny!), and shifting poorly at high RPM's. Do yourself a favor and spare yourself the need for a $2k repair.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well lets say your getting ready to race, what RPM are you revvin at befor you dump the clutch? & Do u dump the clutch or release slow?

you say shift from 1st to 2nd at 5K? why?

Also what is a vacuum-chrome-plater ? can't i just buy chrome wheels & mirrors?

Comment

hmm riding tips....

I am all ears. please give more tips on take offs.
        2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
        Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

For both of your chrome plating needs, if there are none in your area, Just go to google and for Vacuum Chrome Plating ( For Correctly chrome plating your mirrors ) Type in " Vacuum Chrome Plating " And you will have quite a few places that will do it.

For the take off, you could always change sprocket's. 1 tooth down on the front, 2 teeth up on the back. You will lose a bit of top end not a great deal but a few MPH. Also have a Ivan's jetkit installed and have your carbs synched.

The katana is not a pure performance bike though. If you was looking for Gut wrenching acceleration that would have your lips wrapped around your ears. The katana was not the bike to own. But you do have a bike you can ride for 500 miles and not need a chiropractor to place you back in the upright position.

Comment

okay, as far as changing the sprocketts, How much dose that cost & what will it really do as far as power & speed? u say i'll lose some top end MPH? you mean top end power or or it will lower my top speed?

would it be able to do a power willie if i change the sprocketts?

Comment

okay, as far as changing the sprocketts, How much dose that cost & what will it really do as far as power & speed? u say i'll lose some top end MPH? you mean top end power or or it will lower my top speed?

From what I am gathering now you just bought the wrong bike dude ... the Kat is a very nice and fun machine but it ain't no Gixer
              Guylaine
              Try and keep up now

Comment

well i love the look of the gixxer but i hate the way you have to sit to ride the dam thing, thats why i went with the Kat, But i thought there were pretty close in speed?

Comment

drop ther front sprocket to a 15, and bump the back to 47.

WIND IT to 8K....USE the clutch....

Comment

well i love the look of the gixxer but i hate the way you have to sit to ride the dam thing, thats why i went with the Kat, But i thought there were pretty close in speed?
                    No, they are in no way anywhere close to each other in speed.

The Kat 600 is an air-oil cooled engine with 11.2:1 compression and a redline around 11k. It also weighs about 500-510 lbs wet without the rider (441 lbs dry). It produces a max of about 41 lb-ft of torque and a max of about 80 HP at the output shaft for the tranny (usually 66 - 71 HP at the rear wheel).

The modern GSXR is a water-cooled engine with 12.5:1 compression and a redline around 14 or 15k. It weighs about 390 lbs wet (354 lbs dry). It produces a max of about 50 lb-ft of torque and a max of about 115 HP at the output shaft for the tranny (usually 100-105 HP at the rear wheel).

Those basic differences (25% more torque and 42% more horsepower pushing a package that weighs 100 lbs less) means that the Kat has zero potential to run the acceleration that the GSXR has. Someone misled you (or you misled yourself). Sorry...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The Kat is not made to race dude.......it is to heavy and like I said not made to race...It is a sport tourer although more towards the sport end of things...it is quick off the line but watch 2nd gear it will break...just ride the bike fluently,meaning if you can ride it fast on the straights and just as fast in the corners youll have a great time dude..ride it smooth and enjoy...

Comment

With the added Weight of a Kat Wheeling is not what the Bike is designed for. Popping 12 o'clocks with it will just make you buy fork seals that much faster.

As for the 5k Shift Question, range on shifting is 4k+, anything below that and the engine seems to bog out a little. Plus allow the Bike to Break it self in. if it is 2 months old, ya got to baby it a little so 10k down the road you dont run into problems.

just my two pennies here.

Comment

Working...
                        X