X

waiting at traffic lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waiting at traffic lights

whats the easy way to trip the traffic lights, i get skipped all the time!!

1:30 am weeknight- got skipped 3 times, ran the light and the cop came out of NOWHERE!!!! let me slide though... nice cop.

There's a product available that essentially creates a magnetic field that tricks the trigger into thinking you are bigger.

Comment

really?

do u have one? does it realllly work?

Comment

actually in most places you are allowed to run a redlight if your bike is not able to trigger the light.
        They taught it in the MSF course. So the cop that let you "slide", didn't actually do you any favors. A ticket for that is an easy win in court.

Just make sure it is safe to go, then go.

I speak from experience. I got pulled over the same way as you a couple of summers ago. The cop WAS going to write me up, until I told him I had the right in this case.
        He called it in, then came back to me and said that I was right. He was disappointed.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I don't have one, but I've heard from friends who've bought similar devices that they don't seem to make a difference.

I've taken Cyber's excerpt from the thread linked below. WildKat doesn't give the magnets a good review either. Ahhh, you can see for yourself .

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          If they don't trip for your Kat when you put the Kat directly over the cut-line in the ground, odds are they won't trip for the signal tripper (magnet) either. Not all areas use magnetic sensors (a lot of places use piezo-electric sensors, in which case the magnetics do nothing -- but braking hard at the very end of your braking, to force more down-force on the sensor does).

The signal trippers are primarily for bikes with aluminum frames where there simply isn't enough magnetic field to make a difference -- the Kat, with it's steel frame, has a pretty big magnetic disturbance field.
          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Motorcycles in general ,especially fully faired bikes 90% of the time will not trip the traffic loop..the loop is activated by steel and alot of it..even though the Kats frame and a number of other bikes out there are made of steel it isnt enough to trigger the loop..cops are usually pretty cool about this if you explain it to them....oil pan on most bikes are made of alluminum and on the Kat the frame is surrounded by plastic.....were screwed.....

Comment

Green Light Trigger

I have one and like CyberPoet am not convinced it really works. Matter of fact I and my neighbor who pulled up next to me "in the box" also with a GLT also waited a long time for it to change. (I only bought it because he insisted "they really work.").
              LMT

Comment

I get stuck at left turn lanes....my bike has less steel.....I usually just wheelie through them anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  actually in most places you are allowed to run a redlight if your bike is not able to trigger the light.
                  They taught it in the MSF course. So the cop that let you "slide", didn't actually do you any favors. A ticket for that is an easy win in court.

I speak from experience. I got pulled over the same way as you a couple of summers ago. The cop WAS going to write me up, until I told him I had the right in this case.
                  He called it in, then came back to me and said that I was right. He was disappointed.
                  Help me out with this, why are we allowed to run a red light?
                  R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by goldkat
                    because he is MOJOE...he can park in front of banks at midnight too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe

here in quebec.....and I actually think it is canada wide, there is a stipulation in the law stating that if a motorcycle (I actually think it applies to any vehicle) can not trigger a light change, or even if the light is defective.....or whatever reason....you can legally pass through if a reasonable amout of time has passed or several cycles of the light, except yours....as long as it is safe to do so.

I know for a FACT it is to be true because I was pulled over after night shift...like between 3-4am, and a cop stopped me for it. I waited 2 cycles then went through. I was the only person out on main street. He was going to write me up.....as in no question about it. I firmly stood my ground and called BS. Then I explained to him that not more than 1 year ago, the MSF teacher told us about this little bit of information....that if the light won't change for us, we can go if it's safe to do so. Then he called BS. So I just said, "we'll let the court decide". We just sort of looked at each other....not sure who was really right. So he went to call it in. After about 10 minutes he came back with my papers and told me I was right.

Now don't think I am telling you to go running redlights. You have to use some judgement here. There is a difference between missing one cycle in the daytime, and possibly a dozen at night. In the daytime, usually there is enough traffic that if you miss a cycle, a car will come up behind you for the next....and it will trigger it. It sux, but you just gotta be patient. If a car doesn't come up behind you, 2 complete cycles are enough to be able to go through if it is safe to do so.

I mean think about it. WTF are you supposed to do when the light won't change for you? Sit there and wait ...3...4....5. cycles? Seriously, think about it.
                      This is a traffic law. There are exceptions to the rule. If the cop doesn't buy it, a judge will. It only makes sense to me that it is like this.

anyway.....there you have it. that is why we are allowed to run a redlight. sorry if my answer is a bit "dickish", but don't take it personal. You just happen to be the 3rd or 4th person to have called me out on this. This post is a repeat.

I don't know how to make it any clearer.

1) I ran a redlight, after 2 cycles, at night, cuz it wouldn't give me the green.

2) Cop pulled me over and was going to ticket me.

3) I called BS

4) He called it in

5) He came back and told me I was RIGHT!

This should be common knowledge to all riders. If you pay a ticket in a case like that, you are a sucker, or your laws really suck. And it isn't always magnetic fields. There are also pressure plates. You can drag around a 50lb magnet if you like, won't make a world of difference if the light uses a pressure plate. You still don't have the mass to trigger the light. Don't they teach you this shit in MSF class? I guess not, cuz not one person in any post on this subject every really agreed with me. Christ....we spent a good 20 minutes going over this subject. Maybe that is why our course costs over $400 versus your free or $50 courses.

My advice.....look it up for your state or whatever. Passing safely through a red light under certain circumstances that make common sense should be an exception to the rule. I believe this subject is in the laws for Transport Canada.....which means any Canadian can do it.
                      But of course it depends on your local legal system. If you live in butthole, (pick a state), where the cop and judge are uncle and nephew who share the same sister, well......you might just wanna pay the ticket.

Comment

From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act Section 144 subsection eighteen

Red light

(subsection eighteen) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 ( subsect. eighteen)

Penalty for disobeying red or amber light

(subsect. 31.2) Every person who contravenes subsection (subsect. 15) or (subsect. eighteen) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $500. 1998, c. 5, s. 26.

I guess I got my full $350.00 value at the MSF course and learned another reason to move to the sexier Province of Quebec
                        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act Section 144 subsection eighteen

Red light

(subsection eighteen) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 ( subsect. eighteen)

Penalty for disobeying red or amber light

(subsect. 31.2) Every person who contravenes subsection (subsect. 15) or (subsect. eighteen) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $500. 1998, c. 5, s. 26.

I guess I got my full $350.00 value at the MSF course and learned another reason to move to the sexier Province of Quebec
                          that is probably the same basic law for any state or province.....BUT WHAT IF IT DOESN'T TURN GREEN?????

Anyway.....I had my experience with that law, and I now know how to deal with it here in Quebec. I guess the rest of you folks are on your own.

Comment

I remember the same discussion in my MSF course. Give it two cycles and then go when safe to do so. I've only had to do it coming out of a little used parking lot or at night. Normally, someone pulls up behind be and I'll get through that way.
                            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                            -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                              I remember the same discussion in my MSF course. Give it two cycles and then go when safe to do so. I've only had to do it coming out of a little used parking lot or at night. Normally, someone pulls up behind be and I'll get through that way.
                              :

Comment

Working...
                              X