New battery..bike does dead...old battery cranks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery..bike does dead...old battery cranks

Hello,
    I have a 1992 Suzuki Kantana 600 that was last started 2 years ago. This past fall I purchased a new Yahusa battery online, installed the acid and charged it up. A couple weeks ago i put the charged battery in, turned the key, bike in neutral, the dash and head lights go on however, when I push start I hear a faint click and all the lights go out without any cranking.

Removing the battery, letting it sit for an hour or so and repeating the steps above yields the same results.

When I put my sister's weak motorcycle battery in and on a charger I'm able to start the bike.

Any ideas why the new battery will not work?

Thanks

Originally posted by WaterWorldBoating View Post

When I put my sister's weak motorcycle battery in and on a charger I'm able to start the bike.

Any ideas why the new battery will not work?
    your new battery is not charged and may not be good.do you have a charger or you just using jumper cables?you can take it to autozone and they will charge it for free,it should read 12.8volts after charged and at rest.

Comment

+1 on what the wind said. You may have a corrupted cell in the newer battery if it's not holding a charge. Get it tested.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Thank you both. I originally charged it on a 2 amp charger. I heard using 10 amps can fry bike batteries.

I'll charge it up one more time and then take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. I really appreciate the quick response. I'll let you know the outcome.

If it's the battery that is bad that is at least an easy fix. I only wish I would have tried it after I bought it last year. Can't really return it now.

Comment

10 amp chargers won't be too much. Your alternator puts out about 30 if needed. The important part of the charger is the regulator. While charging you don't want to go over approximately 15 volts and preferably 14.5.

Comment

lead acid bike batteries blow dead goats

1.some chargers will not start charging if they cannot read polarity
            2 lead acid batteries are crap , if you need a new one get a maintenance free one
            the last acid battery I bought only lasted one season
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
            X