X

Timing chain tensioner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain tensioner

Hello all, my chain sound slike its slapping so im thinking the tensioner needs to be reajusted, but i dont know the right timing to set the bike to, if anyone has this info i would greatly apprteciate it.

The bike is a 1994 600F

Timing?
    The timing is factory set.
    I'm not sure of the years but I think the cam chain tensioner is automatic. Mybe you need a new spring for it?

Comment

oh ok, that was one of the things i was not sure about, if the tensioner was automatic or not. i wasnt trying to say the actual cam timing, i ment that if the tensioner spring is not automatic the bike needs to be in a certain position so when the tensioner is released and then tightened again it wont mess the timing up. where could i confirm if its automatic or not? thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by DLO115
        bike needs to be in a certain position so when the tensioner is released and then tightened again it wont mess the timing up.
        YES..
        Right I follow.. About it being auto or not.. Donno..
        I always thought the 600 was the same as the 750 but I'm finding thats not the case..

Comment

well, i think ill be better off buying a repair manual or something, ill probably have to order it, i hate not being able to ride on the weekends .. oh well, ill figure it out, i did build the bike frame up, lol.

Comment

Pre-98 Cam Chain Tensioner Springs (longer one is brand new, other is not up to par any more):

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

One of those is going on my shopping list!

Comment

Install instructions?

Comment

For the spring ? Easy . Loosen the big bolt on the back of the engine , spring pops out , pop new one in . Or take out the whole assembly , reset the ratcheting mechanism (Auotomatic tensioner ) , and pop back in . It's cake , really . Takes more time GETTING to it , cause you need to gain access to the back of your engine .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

wow great alot more replys, so i guess there is no specifit position for the bike to be in to release the tensioner, i guess ill be ordering a tensioner spring this afternoon. thanks alot for the help

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Or take out the whole assembly , reset the ratcheting mechanism (Auotomatic tensioner )
                      Know this:

*The book says to reset the mechanism..
                      *There is an oil seal there, make sure it is in good shape.
                      Replace it or work out any scratches with scotch brite.
                      *There is not specific "spot" to put it in. I suspect that the engine might protest until the ratchet finds it's spot.

Comment

is there a decent website where i can purchase the spring?

Comment

Ronayers.com or bikebandit.com
                          Find out who's cheaper..

Comment

Originally posted by DLO115
                            is there a decent website where i can purchase the spring?
                            try ronayers.com

Or simply visit your local dealer. The total mark-up on the spring isn't very big and may be worth more to you than the wait to go mail-order (which usually takes weeks to fulfill for such uncommon parts).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This is a super old thread but I'm just looking for clarification.

The shop manual doesn't have a simple spring replacement procedure, and it does say to remove the entire tensioner body and reset the ratchet. I haven't taken mine apart yet so I'm not exactly sure what this whole ratchet business is about or how it works. The manual makes it sound like IF you take off the tensioner, THEN you must reset the ratchet, but doesn't clearly say that you must reset the ratchet if you just swap springs.

Is it a bad idea to just pull the tensioner cap bolt, swap the spring, and reinstall the cap bolt?
                              former dc beltway daily commuter

Comment

Working...
                              X